cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Union deleting charge off. Didn't pay a dime!!!

tag
Mrzjbabii
New Contributor

Credit Union deleting charge off. Didn't pay a dime!!!

After two weeks of denials from my GW and no responses to my PFD I decided to try emails. I thought maybe I should start small.

I had a $33 CO from an old account that was supposed to be closed when I entered basic training in '08. I emailed the COO yesterday morning and by 5pm his secretary had replied. I was preparing for the run around again but I wss surprised. She said that after review of my account she noticed an overdraft fee of $35 had been applied to a 47 cent charge right before the account closed! She said the charge looked to have taken too long to post. Because it may have been a banking error the COO instructed her negate the balance and remove the CO. They even offered me a new account.

Thanks to this forum I just had my first success. No money required. Oh and they were hitting me with a CO note on my report for the past 34 months!!!! Don't know how bad that hurts bt happy I'm its gone.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Credit Union deleting charge off. Didn't pay a dime!!!

Message 2 of 7
Mrzjbabii
New Contributor

Thanks. I've been calling and writing letters for a year with the same script "just pay but the CO stays". It's 4 years old but I can't afford any bad marks, thats points wasted. Still many more to go.
Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Great!

I also suggest that you keep any statement that also shows the previously asserted debt balance was excused/cancelled.

Deletion of the reporting of the CO does not equate to a statement that you have no unpaid, delinquent debt.  Their statement of a balance of $0 does say that.

If the issue ever pops up, you want docmentation that you do not have any old, unpaid delinquent debt, which is separte from CR deletion of the CO.

Message 5 of 7
Mrzjbabii
New Contributor

Thanks RobertEG! You probably just saved me a future headache. I swear the knowledge on this forum is unbelievable.
Message 6 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Mrzjbabii wrote:
Thanks RobertEG! You probably just saved me a future headache. I swear the knowledge on this forum is unbelievable.

I kept an accordian folder and had a tab for each creditor/collector.  Every piece of paper I sent or recevied went in it.  I still have it and have not been rebuilding for several years now.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.