Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Union with Credit Builder Loan & Secured CC and online banking

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Union with Credit Builder Loan & Secured CC and online banking

Hello All,

I currently have Wachovia as my primary Bank (Checking & Savings and Car Loan).  I'm looking into a joining a Credit Union.  I'm researching local CU's but I feel they may be better CU's out there. I do all of my banking online. A local CU is not critical.  

My question is: I'm looking for a all-in-one package. I want to have a secured CC and start a credit builder loan and start a financial relationship with a CU that I'll keep for a very long time.

I'm coming up short on my search.  Most do Shared secure loans but no Secured CC...etc etc.

I had my eye on NASA CU, they do have  Shared-secured loan.

Is a shared secured loan essentially the same as a "credit builder loan"?

Any help will be appreciated

Thank You

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Union with Credit Builder Loan & Secured CC and online banking

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that great post. I read your post last night over and over.  I looked at every one of those CU's. I can't decide on one Smiley Happy
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might contact a local CU and ask them about the program.  You may have one in your area that can do what you need, then you have a local branch. 

To answer your OP question:  Credit Builder loans are share or savings secured loans, except that they loan you the money to put into savings (kind of an advance).  If you have money to put in savings, go that route.  If not, then go the builder route. 

The builder plan gets you in the habit of paying your bills and saving money.  Once the builder loan is paid off, just keep making those payments into savings like you did before....but now you aren't paying any interest, just collecting it on your savings balance and letting it compound over time.  This gives you emergency funds....a down payment later for home or auto, etc.

Message Edited by txjohn on 04-19-2009 01:25 PM
Message 4 of 8
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

Hi Busta,

I just started a secured cc at the Christian Communities Credit Union, (CCCU),  They were extremely nice and helpful.  You can start it for as low as $500.  They have a FIXED rate of 10.9% and there is NO annual fee. After a year they will unsecure it.  If you wish to visit their site, it is MYCCCU.com.  Good luck.

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would opening a savings account with NASA CU help out in the long run? I don't plan on asking credit anytime soon.
Message Edited by Busta on 04-19-2009 10:57 PM
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Establishing a saving account and adding savings (even if small) on a regular basis will help.  Having a history of memberhip will help.  If you can direct deposit paycheck, this will help.

If you are building credit, talk to them about credit builder or secured loan and then pay off in 4 to 6 months.  Secured loans generally are low APR so you won't pay much interest.  And having established savings, deposits and a loan will later put you in a better position for other unsecured credit, especially if you are working hard on repairing and improving CR and FICO.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks TXjohn for your great replies.

I have decided to open accounts with a local credit union and NASA CU.  I will find out who of the two are worth keeping in the long run.  Does this sound like a good idea? I read that other members had several CU' accounts, I assuming this is not a problem.

Message Edited by Busta on 04-20-2009 06:22 PM
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.