Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Utilization Ratio on Chargeoffs

tag
js0319
Established Contributor

Credit Utilization Ratio on Chargeoffs

I have two accounts that are were revolving and have been charged off. One is for a Bank of America CC that had a $600 limit, and the other was a Discover CC that had a $1500 limit. The amounts owed are now $955 of B of A, and $2444 on Discover. As far as I know, they have not been sold to a CA. My Equifax CR is showing my "ratio of revolving balances to credit limits" as 143%, and Experian is saying I have 2 open revolving accounts for a total of $3399. If you add B of A and Discover together, that equals $3399 owed on those chargeoffs - but that makes the ratio 162% vs. 143% like EQ is reporting. B of A was CO in 1/09, and Discover was CO in 7/08. The AAoA on these two accounts is 95 months (or almost 8 years), and based on the information from my free credit report I obtained last month, the B of A is within the SOL until 6/2012, and the Discover SOL expired 5/2011.

Given all of this information, should I:

PFD both accounts, and risking losing the AAoA of 8 years?

or

Request the accounts be updated to reflect a $0 balance and the negative information be removed for PIF (that seems like I'm asking for a lot)?

Any other suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Treysdaddy08
Valued Member

Re: Credit Utilization Ratio on Chargeoff

I'm not sure you could request the second one. They will most likely tell you that they are required to report accurate information. You could attempt a pfd, but that runs the risk for being sued. Your util is definitely killing your score. Personally, I would PIF and then start the gw process.

Starting Score: 2/2/12 - 551
Current Score: 3/18/12 - 636
Goal Score: 660

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
MrChairman
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Utilization Ratio on Chargeoff

Both accounts will show a 0 balance once you PIF. They will not remove the negative info from the account though. Best bet is to have the account deleted all together from your reports with the GW process. I would much rather have a clean report than a charge off. It won't matter much the age if its still reporting as a CO

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.