cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit app after judgments removed? Denied.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit app after judgments removed? Denied.

I had 3 judgments removed last week from all 3 credit bureaus. My credit is now clean. Got excited and applied for a Cap 1 card, but was denied due to "legal action pending against applicant." There's nothing negative on my credit reports at all. Anyone else have this happen? I feel like they are basing this on my old reports which still had the judgments.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit app after judgments removed? Denied.

I would call them. Sounds more like they have legal action pending against you.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 2 of 14
taekwon
Regular Contributor

try the recon line. http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Backdoor-Numbers/td-p/408066

Starting Scores: EQ 598, EX 566, TU 550, 3/31/13 ....... Goal Score: 830
Current Scores: EQ 845, EX 841, TU 836 ..................... Inq: EQ: 0, EX: 1, TU: 1

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't stop to think that one of the removed judgments may have originated with Capital 1. Dumb move on my part.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It happens; welcome! I have also seen this when a Lis pendens  has been filed. Any real estate issues going on?

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

No real estate issues. Does Capital One search county court records in that 60 second instant online approval ?? Even tho my judgments were removed from my credit reports, one is unpaid.
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The change by Equifax, Experian and TransUnion will take effect July 1, 2017, as part of a plan to ensure that consumer identifications in the data are accurate and current.

So Cap1 cannot see the Judgements via credit reports. My guess is that Cap1 might be one of those that were removed. That would be the only way of knowing.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies. I am wondering if creditors are using other methods to check for public records now that so many are being scrubbed from credi reports.
Message 8 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Removal of public record information from a consumer's credit report is not always based on the information no longer being posted in the public record or a determination that the debt is not owed.  Unless the court has formally vacated the judgment, it may still be enforceable even though excluded from the consumer's credit report.

That is particularly true in view of the new National Consumer Assistance Plan being implemented by the CRAs, wherein the CRAs are removing some judgments based only on not meeting certain verification standards of including a full name and an SSN or date of birth.  Removal under the National Consumer Assistance Plan is thus not evidence of lack of validity or enforceability of the judgment.

If a creditor is aware of a public record, such as via their own internal business records or their own search of the public records, they are not precluded from using that information simply because a CRA either has not found the public record information or has removed it from their files based on their National Consumer Assistance Plan.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have them in written form. They can also ask for fax version of the dropped Judgements.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.