cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit bureau just extended dispute deadline?

tag
Seangar
New Contributor

Credit bureau just extended dispute deadline?

Hey guys, I was wondering if this is normal? I was under the impression Credit Bureau's had only 30 to respond to disputes. I did a large number of disputes online at Experian, today...7/24/14 was there deadline to finish the results. But after looking at the status of my disputes, I noticed they "updated" a few of the disputes....but the large majority of them are still pending. They also changed the "Results Due" from 7/24 to 8/20? Any advice?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
kezia2410
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit bureau just extended dispute deadline?

I believe they can have up to 45 days if they need more time than the 30 days to investigate.

@Seangar wrote:

Hey guys, I was wondering if this is normal? I was under the impression Credit Bureau's had only 30 to respond to disputes. I did a large number of disputes online at Experian, today...7/24/14 was there deadline to finish the results. But after looking at the status of my disputes, I noticed they "updated" a few of the disputes....but the large majority of them are still pending. They also changed the "Results Due" from 7/24 to 8/20? Any advice?

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have had that happen to me exactly the way you describe it.

I had sent in a written request for my very first dispute on 6/24/2014.

Then i got a physical credit report and went online and disputed the addresses/employers/personal stuff. That dispute was resolved online via email

Then they gave me another different report# saying this dispute of 6/24/14 will be estimated to be resolved by 8/082014

I m so confused.

any ideas folks

Message 3 of 10
Seangar
New Contributor

Ya I'm lost. They didn't extend it from 30 to 45 days. It looks like after they updated the other disputes they tacked on an extra 30 days for the disputes that were pending. 

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I plan on writing a letter to Equifax disputing it and simultaneously identify the exact dates and disputes with the CFPB.

I want it deleted

period

Message 5 of 10
kezia2410
Regular Contributor

I would call them and let them know that they can not update the due date to another 30 days. If the creditor did not respond they have to remove the account. Let them know you will file a dispute with CFPB.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Only after i can confirm via US Mail that i have received nothing in the US Mail and their notation exactly identifies how the dispute results will be delivered. (By mail).

so have to sorta wait until then.

Preparing the wordings i need to make a good case for CFPB

Message 7 of 10
Seangar
New Contributor

Weird, just got an email from Experian. All student loan lates were removed. So I guess they won't be trying to extend the result date. Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Actually, according to the FCRA,  they can extend, especially if it is done with your free reports.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

45 days is only allowed if you have pulled a report from the annualcreditreport.com

otherwise its 30 days from the date reflected on your CM# or CMRRR

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.