Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card charge off showing open

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card charge off showing open

I have two credit cards charged off small amounts.  Both cards are showing open.  These are from a few years ago.  What are the best steps.  They did not go to collections.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit card charge off showing open

Small amounts? How small? Can you afford to pay them?

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I can afford to pay off.  Will that reset the clock and make my score go down?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

574 and 610 are the amounts

Message 4 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

If these are reporting monthly then they are keeping your score depressed. The faster you settle them the quicker your Fico can begin to recover.

Message 5 of 7
recoverysauce
Valued Member

If you got the money pay the original creditor in full before it goes to collections. 

Message 6 of 7
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, I can afford to pay off.  Will that reset the clock and make my score go down?

It will not reset the clock because the deletion date is based of of the "Date of First Delinquencey" . After paying the charge offs, you will probably get a score bump because  your balance goes to zero and stops monthly reporting of delinquent debt.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.