Did you mean: 

Credit card consolidation advice needed

tag
NursePurse
Frequent Contributor

Credit card consolidation advice needed

Hi,

I'm trying to help my mom out.

She was formerly employed by a lawyer for 30++ years by the same boss.

He since passed 2 years ago

She finally got a job about a year after that (making about 50% less than the $45,000/year she was making.

My mom has the following debt:

Capone VIsa Plat $3,000/maxed

Capone Quicksilver: $3,100/maxed

Walmart:$4,000/maxed

Best Buy Reward Zone MC - $1,000 balance on $2,000 credit line (2 year old card)

Amazon Chase Visa - $600 on a $900 credit line (2 year old card)

Chase Freedom - New $500 CL no balance

Discover IT - New - $800 CL no balance (she applied in hopes for balance transfers but obviously with the given credit lines that's utterly impossible)

House - Owned and paid/no mortgage 

Capone will not budge. I've tried chat for her, facebook messaging and contacting the EO via email (who would only agree to pc'ng the original cards to rewards cards last month) She has been with Capone for 10 years. Never any late payments.

Her credit reports are all clean, no baddies, no lates...nothing except a big fat utilization score.

I'm even willing to take a hit to my utilization if it means helping my mom out in any way possible. She's in no way irresponsible with her credit, she was just dealt a bad hand and there's no way the capital one card balances are going to budge with her making the minimum payments of anywhere form $70 - $90/mo

Are there any banks that you think would approve a joint loan or credit card application? That's my main question.

Thanks for any advice, my mom has the biggest heart in the world and if there's anything I can do to help her, then I'm all ears

EQ FICO 694 TU FICO 689 EXP FICO 695(Started rebuilding in Nov 2013, student loan charge-off's dating from 2011, all marked as paid on CRB's) 14% Utl Chase United Mileage Plus $5G/Citi DoubleCash $4G/USAirways MC $5G/NFCU cashRewards $11,500/Navcheck $10G/Cap1 Quicksilver1 $2,500/Cap1 Quicksilver1 $2G/Gap $2500/Barclay Rewards MC $1G/Walmart $2,500/CareCredit joint $8400 LOFT/Express/VS all $2500 /J.Crew$7500/True Value $3G/True Value Discover$3G/Nordstrom $6G/Amazon $4G/ Amex Hilton HHonors $1G/Chase Amazon $500/Chase Freedom $2G/Paypal MC $4G/Amex Everyday $2G/Venture $5G/Amex Costco$2G
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit card consolidation advice needed

Hiya Nurse... on her own, with those utils, it would be quite difficult for her to get a consolidation loan, per se.  I know there are some companies that may offer some sort of assistance, but I've not found one that was actually beneficial.  Not saying they're not out there, just personal opinions.

It may come down to you getting the loan and then having her give you the money to pay it.  I know it's a credit faux pas, but just going to throw that out there.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 4
NursePurse
Frequent Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

Hiya Nurse... on her own, with those utils, it would be quite difficult for her to get a consolidation loan, per se.  I know there are some companies that may offer some sort of assistance, but I've not found one that was actually beneficial.  Not saying they're not out there, just personal opinions.

It may come down to you getting the loan and then having her give you the money to pay it.  I know it's a credit faux pas, but just going to throw that out there.

Thank you for your input Shogun, I agree, it's going to be impossible at best for my mom to get any type of loan, and although I'm more than willing to apply for a loan for her, I'm not so sure I'd be able to get a $10,000 loan. Research research I suppose. Hopefully this story will have a happy ending at some point Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 694 TU FICO 689 EXP FICO 695(Started rebuilding in Nov 2013, student loan charge-off's dating from 2011, all marked as paid on CRB's) 14% Utl Chase United Mileage Plus $5G/Citi DoubleCash $4G/USAirways MC $5G/NFCU cashRewards $11,500/Navcheck $10G/Cap1 Quicksilver1 $2,500/Cap1 Quicksilver1 $2G/Gap $2500/Barclay Rewards MC $1G/Walmart $2,500/CareCredit joint $8400 LOFT/Express/VS all $2500 /J.Crew$7500/True Value $3G/True Value Discover$3G/Nordstrom $6G/Amazon $4G/ Amex Hilton HHonors $1G/Chase Amazon $500/Chase Freedom $2G/Paypal MC $4G/Amex Everyday $2G/Venture $5G/Amex Costco$2G
Message 3 of 4
myjourney
Super Contributor

Just a thought but since the home is owned free and clear she might be able to open a low APR line of credit to pay the CC's off and lower her monthly payments at the same time. The bank will be looking at the value of the home vs the small amount she's asking for...Should be a quick and painless process 

Good luck and bravo for helping mom in anyway possible 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.