Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card fell off report but still collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit card fell off report but still collections

Hi, I had a credit card that was charged off and sent to collections several years ago. I received an update on my weekly credit karma report that this credit card had been removed form my credit report. Debt is more than 7 years old. But I still receive collection calls for this card and it still shows it is an open account in my collections. My question is if this card has been removed from all my credit reports shouldn't it be removed from my collections?
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

Re: Credit card fell off report but still collections

If the account is more than 7 years old and you haven't settled it by paying off in full or less than full, CA tend to sell your account at some point to new CA and these CAs will be try to collect it from you. Every time this happens you can send in a letter saying that this debt is more than 7.5 years and cannot be put on your report. I am sure there is a clause that you can specify FRCA something that experts can point you to.

You can also dispute this with CRAs and they will remove it from your report.

Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi, I had a credit card that was charged off and sent to collections several years ago. I received an update on my weekly credit karma report that this credit card had been removed form my credit report. Debt is more than 7 years old. But I still receive collection calls for this card and it still shows it is an open account in my collections. My question is if this card has been removed from all my credit reports shouldn't it be removed from my collections?

The collection should have become excluded the same time the original account was. I would send the collector a direct dispute asserting an incorrect DoFD. Do you have copies of an Equifax report showing the OC's DoFD?

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey guys I'm a little clueless when it comes to this stuff and your references and lingo is confusing me. Let me give a few more details that may be relevant. The same collection company that has been contacting me regarding this card is the same company that contacted me for two other cards which have only been in collections for 1 year. I paid both of them off and settled for less than the full balance. While I was payin off these two other cards I made 2 payments of $10 each on this other card that I am referring to. Would this matter as far as it not falling off collections the same time it fell off my credit report. Or should it still be removed?
Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey guys I'm a little clueless when it comes to this stuff and your references and lingo is confusing me. Let me give a few more details that may be relevant. The same collection company that has been contacting me regarding this card is the same company that contacted me for two other cards which have only been in collections for 1 year. I paid both of them off and settled for less than the full balance. While I was payin off these two other cards I made 2 payments of $10 each on this other card that I am referring to. Would this matter as far as it not falling off collections the same time it fell off my credit report. Or should it still be removed?

No, making payments is not going to keep it on there longer. But depending on your state laws, failure to complete a repayment plan *can* open you up to being sued for the balance if it was past SOL before those payments were made.

Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice. So it sounds like if a card is removed from my credit report it should be removed from collections!
Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I contact the reports?
Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Should I contact the reports?

No, contact the CA directly with a FCRA 623 Direct Dispute. If you have an old Equifax report showing the OC's DoFD, include that as evidence.

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the myFico forums!

I am going to try to elaborate on what NormanFH has said, which BTW, is excellent advice:

You need to look for the DoFD on the original debt, and it is usually shown very clearly on the EQ report, like the one you get from your annual credit report.  It is best if you have an old copy of an EQ report that shows it, so you can use it to establish that date with a dispute with the CA.  It appears that the CA is using a different DoFD than the OC. 

The DoFD (Date of First Delinquency) is the date that precedes the major delinquency.  For example, the 30 day late that leads to the 180 day late when the account enters a CO state.  That date is what drives the SOL date and also the 7 year date when it is excluded from your CRs.

So, if you can get evidence that the OC had a DoFD that is earlier than the CA, then you can use that in a dispute with the CA to get it corrected, which would allow the CRBs to exclude it, assuming it is past the 7 year point.

HTH

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the fast repaponses. What does CA stand for? On my credit karma report it shows the date of last payment on this card was August 1, 2009. Does this have relevance?
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.