cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card offer from company that I defaulted on.

tag
ginlyn

Credit card offer from company that I defaulted on.

Hello, I'm new here.

In the fall of 2005, I was a young, single parent and I had an problems paying my monthly household bills. I stupidly began paying my electric, water, phone, groceries ect on my credit cards along until I had 3 cards that were out of control.  I attempted to correct them by going through one of those debt reconcillation companies that advised me to stop paying on them which I did in Oct. 2005. I paid that company until I realized all they were doing was taking my money and not actually paying my bills.

So one of the 3 cards I defaulted on was a Capital One. It's been 6 years. In that six years, I have no futher negative credit. I retained 3 store cards that I have had since before 2005 and they have all been paid current and I only charge on them enough to pay on them a couple of months and then pay them off to help build my credit . I have a current car loan and have paid off 2 car loans (1 due to a wreck). I know that these debts are set to fall off my report according to the reporting agency next October.  I have been thinking I need to apply for a major card to help boost my score and then I got a letter from Capital One offering me a credit card because "we'd like to have you back as a customer." I was thinking I do not need to try to take out a card from any of the companies I defaulted on. Can they tack on my old debt to a new card? I don't want to end up with another card that causes a negative ding to my report.

Any advice?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Mekitcat
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit card offer from company that I defaulted on.

I think they will forgive you, they did for me and I was blown away because I still owed them money. (It's a tax write off for them when people default on the cards) I was only given a small $300 dollar limit but it was a start for me to start rebuilding. I still had the CA collection on my reports when I apped. The Cap one charge off fell off one month prior to me apping.

I believe others on here had the same experience too.

What card are they offering to you?

Message 2 of 10
ginlyn

Capital One Platinum MC with no annual fee 0% APR until June 2012 then 22.9% variable after that. It says I get access to a higher credit line after 5 on-time payments. I know the interest rate is pretty high. I just am not sure what card would be the best option and if this one would be a good option.

Message 3 of 10
Mekitcat
Frequent Contributor

@ginlyn wrote:

Capital One Platinum MC with no annual fee 0% APR until June 2012 then 22.9% variable after that. It says I get access to a higher credit line after 5 on-time payments. I know the interest rate is pretty high. I just am not sure what card would be the best option and if this one would be a good option. This isn't a bad rebuilder card to have. Its a matter of your opinion some say its a sub prime card which it kind of is but it will put you foot in the door for prime cards down the road when your baddies fall off.

And over all that isn't a bad offer either, mine was 24.90% with a $19AF

It will help you rebuild your credit too. But Capital One does hard pull all 3 so that's something to think about too.

Good luck if you chose to go for it! Let us know how it goes. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 10
ginlyn

Okay, I applied for the offer online and was approved with a $500 limit! Thanks!!!

Message 5 of 10
Mekitcat
Frequent Contributor

Good for you!!! Congrats! Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 10
cd2004
Regular Contributor

@ginlyn wrote:

Capital One Platinum MC with no annual fee 0% APR until June 2012 then 22.9% variable after that. It says I get access to a higher credit line after 5 on-time payments. I know the interest rate is pretty high. I just am not sure what card would be the best option and if this one would be a good option.

yep I got that same offer in the mail last week and I had a Capital One card go to charge off about 5yrs ago. I was approved for a 300CL. This is one of the cards I will  keep at a $0 bal

Current 3B scores May 2022: EQ: 806 TU: 798 EX: 797
Message 7 of 10
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

Congrats on the approval! You're on your way to rebuilding!

Transunion: 713 FICO (5/13/2014) MyFico
Experian: 789 FICO (4/10/12) Lender Pull
Equifax: 695 FICO (1/10/14) MyFico

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

My Primary Financial Goal is to put down my utl%.

Message 8 of 10
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

Congrats.

Message 9 of 10
RussianPassion
Regular Contributor

I have an unpaid judgement from Capital One from 2008. They recently approved me for a Simple Rewards 300CL VISA... Go figure...

COngrats!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.