cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit card possible with default judgment?

tag
seetheworld1

Credit card possible with default judgment?

Hi, guys,

I'm new to your forum and find it very educational. I was hoping for some advice: I have three negatives on my credit reports: a paid federal tax lien that I've asked to be removed through the Fresh Start program, a default judgment that was  paid in 2010 and a medical collection that I plan to PFD. My credit scores are 593, 632 and 649. Last week I applied for a  Barclays credit  card adn was declined. I don't have any credit cards and the only revolving credit I have on my file is my car loan that's paid like cllockwork each month.I applied for a capital one secured card and will use that responsibly in the hope of raising my score. My question is: when do you think I should apply again for a credit card? Shoudl I wait for six months? I probably won't try Barclays again. Is it unrealistic to expect to get a credit card with the paid civil jugment on my report? Thanks for any advice you can give!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Credit card possible with default judgment?

Welcome to the forum. The key to re establishing, is to app with lenders with easier UW guidelines. Rev credit to a lender is not your car loan (that's considered an installment loan) but credit cards. Barclays would want 9mos-1yr of rev cc history before approval.

The paid judgment isn't too bad because it has some aging. Once you have your Fed Tax Liens and medical collection taken care of I your reports will look much better. If you do not want to wait, you can go the secured route to begin generating a positive credit report. SDFCU, has a secured card (no hp) but it does not graduate. You could look at your local CU as well. Do a search for the 'shopping cart trick' to add a store card without a HP. GE backed cards are also easier to qualify for, Walmart, Old Navy etc.

If you are close to having the items removed, I would wait to add another CL -Cap 1 and your car are a start. Then I would add another rev cc. You only need 2 to to get back on your feet.
Message 2 of 5
seetheworld1

This is wonderful advice. Thanks very much!

Message 3 of 5
fireguy01

I currently have 2 judgments against me. 1 paid. one unpaid. 

Scores lower than yours. 

And some collections. 

First I went to easy to get cards. Capital one platinum for the 300 credit steps program. then macy's, victoria secret, and finally walmart. (There were others but....)

Anyhow, I applied with barclays for the NFL pts card and was declined online. I waited two days and called their back door number. You can find it on here. I stated i was calling about my credit application. (I was really calling to plead to remove the hard pull)....the lady didnt wait for me to ask...she began by asking some questions, but the tipping point was her asking if I had other credit cards. I stated yes and told her the amounts...just off the top of my head, and she went ahead and approved me. Dont know for how much....but its approved none the less. 

If at first you get denied, dont be discouraged. Call and talk to them...they arent going to call you for follow up questions...you have to be proactive and call them. You'd be surprised. 

Even if you get approved but for lets say $300....you may even be able to call and say....what the heck?!?!? You cant approve me for more? (In a nice way)....and they may extend you more credit. 

11/2013
TU FICO:610 Ex FICO:630 EQ: FICO 612
CK FAKO: 591 CS FAKO: 629
CapOne Plat 300 Target store 300 Kohls 300 Walmart 600 Amazon Visa 500 Victoria Secret 250 Barclays NFL 500 Kays 1000 J.B Robinson 1000 Speedway Rewards store 400
Message 4 of 5
seetheworld1

Thanks for your reply! I will keep working on building with my secured C1 card and try for another car (not Barclays) again in a few months.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.