cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit cards I was listed as Joint minor? Help!

tag
novabama
Frequent Contributor

Credit cards I was listed as Joint minor? Help!

Hi guys, I am new here. I have searched all over for these answers and haven't really found anything like my situation. I have 2 things on my credit report that I am in question of. 

1. Discover card, balance 12,664--opened 1999-DoFD 01/2009-Charge-Off 

When I was younger my dad was out of state, so my mom added me to her credit card for when I was with him (she made much more $). I was a minor, 11 Years Old... Well a few years later she had some financial problems with her boyfriend and could no longer pay her bills she had normally been able to. This is now a charge off, she says I was just an authorized user on the account, but my credit report says a JOINT account. Can I even be responsible for this since I was not old enough to even have credit/card?! Also, this is the biggest thing on my credit by far and at 546EQ, 548EX and 589TU, I am trying to rebuild my credit from when my daughter's dad left. How badly could this be hurting me?

**I have already submitted an online dispute for this, but TU won't let me explain, so what are my chances of getting removed?

2. Chase , balance 0--opened 2001 CL 3,800, current, paid, paid as agreed CLOSED 03/2005

Similar situation, this was opened when I was a minor and closed when I was 17 years old. My question with this is that is it affecting me negatively, positively or just taking up space? If negative or taking up space, then I will have it removed because I WAS listed as only an AU on this account. 

Thank you for any help!!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit cards I was listed as Joint and AU as a minor? Help!

Definitely some legal issues in there involving your status as a minor.  By no way am I versed in the letter of the law but I find something amiss in your situation.  My suggestion is to contac the BBB and your State Attorney General in regards to this.   Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge of this will chime in but I do think those two agencies could be of help.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 5
novabama
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Shogun! I've seen your name a lot around here and I hope one day I'll be the one giving advice! For now, I will definitely look into that. My mom is willing to work with me to help get it off my report as well, so hopefully I'll get somwhere soon!

Message 3 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Pay it forward!   Actually I do believe you have a very good chance of clearing this up. Keep us posted on your progress.  We love to hear success stories.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 5
novabama
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I definitely will. I have A LOT of work to do. I have been putting it off for a couple years because it was just so depressing. Most of my items are from 2006-2008 when I turned 18 and got in a bad predicament with a newborn and no-good dad. I have been at my job 2 years and finally am at the point where I think I might be able to do some PFDs and get somewhere. I also got an auto loan (although at a RIDICULOUS rate, I knew I had to start somewhere since I have a steady employment and can pay bills now) in January 12 and it is listed as on time since so I know that has helped a lot! I don't even want to know what my score was before now, haha!

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.