Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit disputes

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit disputes

Does anybody knows if is normal for your score to drop when an item is dispute? Today I open a dispute for a negative item on my report, like 4 hours later Fico informed me of a change in my score, when I logged in I saw that my Fico score dropped almost 20 something points and the reason was my dispute.
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Credit disputes

Yes it is normal ~ your score can either go up or down when the disputed item is taken out of FICO scoring.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks but is the change permanent? or will go back up?

Message 3 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Your score should return back to where it was pre~dispute unless as a result of the dispute the account is deleted from your reports.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot.
Message 5 of 9
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

I believe it will last for 90 days then your score will be back to normal. Someone please correct me if im wrong.

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 6 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

No ~ there is no 90 day rule. It is based only on the duration of the dispute, which is either 30 or 45 days.
Message 7 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The problem is that the CRAs are notoriously derelict in updating the FCRA dispute resolution code.

When you dispute, the CRA records an active dispute by changing a code in your credit file.  It reports that an undecided dispute is in progress.

The CRA, if you dispute through them, is THE party responsible for sending the final notice of dispute resolution to the consumer, and thus knows, on the date they send their notice, of termination of the dispute.  It should be a simple one-two admin procedure......notice sent, dispute code updated to terminated/resolved.  A no-brainer.

It dont happen!

Message 8 of 9
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I still have one of my collections saying "disputed by customer" or whatever. I never disputed it. I just DV'd it and PFD'd it (or tried to PFD it lol) almost 2 months ago.

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.