Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit experts advice "Next Steps"

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit experts advice "Next Steps"

Im rebuilding credit so I can be approved for a home loan for my first house in the next few months. So im wondering what my next steps should be:

Spring 2017' - Vantage Scores around 450's 

Fall 2017 - Vantage Scores around 600's (FICO scores range from 650 to 501 depending on the model)

1 charge off was intentional -  It was cheaper to defalut and let and go to court, so i could get the reduction to 9% interest per annum and 1 total balance of 2069.00 -  Current Remaining Balance 1200.00 (paying 150.00/mth x 2 to pay off early)

Derogs - 611.00 -Tex Collect / 375.00 Dental Bill Amerisist / 345.00 (2nd) Tower Loan they refused to take to court so now its just a CO)

2 open CC's Credit One Bank 500 / 20.00 balance (4 months old)- Capital One QS 300.00 / 0.00 balance (2.5 years old)(waiting for statement to close to request CLI)

1 car loan $12,000 balance 1,500 (almost done after 4.5 years no late payments.

Age of accounts - Average 3.5 years

My income is 75000

too bad rental history doesnt count towards credit, i have 10 years no late payments lol

Next Step for increase?

Take out a loan to pay derogs?

Open a new C.C. to improve my available credit? or would a new account be worse?

just keep paying off the crap and dont open anyting new?

I see that the people in the 700 club all have like 20 CC's and 50+ inquiries... i have 2 CC's and 3 inquiries in the last year, im so worried about hits to my report im not sure what to do next.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit experts advice "Next Steps"

I would suggest adding a third credit card to the mix. Discover Secured is easy to get and it graduates to unsecured. Also since your Cap One card is 2.5 years old, apply for a Cap One Platinum card. And kick the predator Credit One to the curb. TBH, you never should have apped for that.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the Advice! I knew the risks with Credit One, its only 4 months old and ive already got 1 auto CLI from 300-500. I have never gotten 1 CLI with Capital One (I didnt know i was in credit steps when it opened and i had a late payment, so i think they are salty about that).

I started with a Platinum and just upgraded it to the QuickSilver (standard not QS One). STILL Captial One is only offering me 100.00 CLI haha i keep declining it trying after each statement cut.

Ill look at Discover Secured, that should be easy enough. Will the "Secured" part show up on my credit report? does that look bad? 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those $100 increases on the Cap 1 is just how they handle those rebuild cards,  so u may as well accept the increase. The only way to get a respectable credit line increase with Cap 1 is to app for another card when ur rebuild is a bit further along the process.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you too. I took the advice and opened the discover secure card. They literally just called me to tell me I was approved. Im starting with 1000.00. So well see where that gets me. If I don't get a better increase with CAP 1 tomorrow when my next statement closes, I'll take the 100.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.