Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit improving but student loan lates holding me back

tag
dmorey
Contributor

Credit improving but student loan lates holding me back

I've only been at the boards a couple of months and am amzed how much progress I've made (even though my scores are still terrible.) In mid-Novemver my Experian report showed 17 negative items and 0 good items. Today it showed 7 good and 7 bad but no collections!

Good items: $250 Buckle credit card since 12/12, $350 Victoria's Secret card since 12/12, $300 USAA Secured AMEX since 11/12, $600 USAA Secured Mastercard since 11/12, 2 student loans paid/closed in 2007 with no lates (opened in 2000), and a maxed out $30k USAA card I'm an AU on (already removed, waiting for it to drop off)

Negatives left: unpaid $968 Cap1 judgment from 2008, 4 closed/paid student loans each with three 120-day lates in mid-2006 (latest June 2006, accounts closed in 2007 with refinance). But the worst are 2 Nelnet student loans. Open since 2007, but between 2010 and 2012, EACH account racked up 18 90 to 180 day lates. On IBR now so last late was October 2012.

Have 5 inquiries over 2 years at Equifax, 3 were in last year.

Goodwills, calls, etc have been unsuccessful and I'm thinking my score will stay in the toilet for years regardless of what I do with these lates?

Other reports are similar though not all my PFDs have updated yet on the other ones. Transunion has the only other unpaid debt I have -- $179 from Credit Collections for Progressive, still waiting to hear back from them. That debt is 4 years old. Also I have a $295 paid medical debt from 2011 that shows only on Equifax, and a paid $50 med debt and paid $199 AFNI bill (both 5 years old that are paid but only on Equifax, not yet updated to paid.) Also not yet showing is a Fingerhut Fresh Start account. that I apllied for in November before I found these boards.

So I guess my question is how bad are the serious lates hurting me and is there anything I can do to lessen the impact? Anything I can do or add if gws don't work? Is it possible to have decent credit with the judgment and student loan lates? What other steps should I be taking to improve my credit? Not seeking a mortgage or car/personal loan or anything of that nature anytime soon and not in desperate need of credit so I'm not as bothered about my inquiries, new credit if I could get it, etc.

Also, as to the student loan lates from April, May and June of 2006, will those fall off in June of this year? Then would that account go positive? GWs failed with that one too, but thinking those aren't as bad since it may be falling off soon?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
dmorey
Contributor

Re: Credit improving but student loan lates holding me back

And another question, I know the judgment can be renewed up to 20 years (I'm in Texas now but was when I lived in Florida) but does it fall of the credit report paid or not in 7 years? If renewed can it go back on your report for 7 years?

Message 2 of 6
dmorey
Contributor

Bump. Anyone?

Message 3 of 6
eastexascout
Regular Contributor

You may want to call those SL companies.  I had a few lates on my older student loans before they got consolidated.  I got ALL removed with a simple phone call. 

Dont get me wrong, i'm a huge fan of writing the GW letter, but with the student loan folks you might be better calling; in my opinion.

Let me know how it turns out.

"just trying to get my credit up..."
Message 4 of 6
dmorey
Contributor

I've called three times so far, lol, to both Nelnet, which holds my two existing loans and two closed loans as well as Kentucky Higher Education, which holds 4 closed loans. They haven't been the least bit willing to help. In fact, it feelslike they rub it in instead, lol. When I called yesterday they just talked about how I wouldn't have that problem if I had responded to their letters and requested a forebearence or payment plan sooner.

Message 5 of 6
eastexascout
Regular Contributor

Yeah I def understand your scenario.  However, you have to be a bit persistent with them.  I had a late with ACS, everytime I called they refused to help.  The last time I called they finally gave in and ask what exactly I needed. 

These folks will help, you just have to maneuver around the "hardline" they give you.

"just trying to get my credit up..."
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.