Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit lines that are not secured

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit lines that are not secured

Hello all, new to the forum and had a question. I'm trying to rebuild my personal credit from the low 500's. Equifax-516, Transunion-529, Experian-520. 16 total collections nearly all medical. I was approved for the Fresh Start Fingerhut credit line. I was curious if there were any similar credit lines available that would approve these scores as I've been told that it's better to have 3-5 open accounts and to maintain low balances on each. I was denied for cap1 secured card, walmart credit card, and still waiting to see if I've been approved for the JC Penny credit card. I'm asking because my equifax score dropped 3 points due to inquiries....and I'm now hesitant to apply anywhere unluss I can be certain of approval. Oh, and one of my collections is from an overdraft fee....and now getting a checking account is like pulling teeth for me. (I mention this because cap1 specifically said the reason they didn't approve me was because I had no checking account.) I'd be thankful for any responses.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit lines that are not secured

Google HIPAA removal from credit report to handle your medical collections.

Go to MerrickBank.com and signup for a secured card and you can signup with SDFCU that doesn't do a hard pull on your credit.

That will give you 2 positive tradelines along with FingerHut so it will give you a total of 3 tradelines.

Don't miss a payment, don't max them out and leave at least under 30% on one card.

Pay them in full every month except 30%.

That'll help your score.

Stop applying for any other cards other then secured.

You won't get approved with those scores at JcPenney so that was a waste of a HP.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great info. Thank you very much.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your not going to get approved for any non-secured card.

Your going to have to start with secured and build yourself some positive history before trying to get non-secured.. You need to be in the 600 range with at least 6 months of positive history reporting before your going to get a prime card.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all, new to the forum and had a question. I'm trying to rebuild my personal credit from the low 500's. Equifax-516, Transunion-529, Experian-520. 16 total collections nearly all medical. I was approved for the Fresh Start Fingerhut credit line. I was curious if there were any similar credit lines available that would approve these scores as I've been told that it's better to have 3-5 open accounts and to maintain low balances on each. I was denied for cap1 secured card, walmart credit card, and still waiting to see if I've been approved for the JC Penny credit card. I'm asking because my equifax score dropped 3 points due to inquiries....and I'm now hesitant to apply anywhere unluss I can be certain of approval. Oh, and one of my collections is from an overdraft fee....and now getting a checking account is like pulling teeth for me. (I mention this because cap1 specifically said the reason they didn't approve me was because I had no checking account.) I'd be thankful for any responses.

Are you in ChexSystems? How much was the overdraft fee? Did you leave it unpaid? I'm sorry but I have to be completely honest with you and let you know that you do have a lot of work ahead of you. How old are you and do you currently have any other debt? How old are the current collection accounts on your CR?

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Google HIPAA removal from credit report to handle your medical collections.

Go to MerrickBank.com and signup for a secured card and you can signup with SDFCU that doesn't do a hard pull on your credit.

That will give you 2 positive tradelines along with FingerHut so it will give you a total of 3 tradelines.

Don't miss a payment, don't max them out and leave at least under 30% on one card.

Pay them in full every month except 30%.

That'll help your score.

Stop applying for any other cards other then secured.

You won't get approved with those scores at JcPenney so that was a waste of a HP.

I'm rebuilding right now as well.. I have 1 secured cap1 card and 1 unsecured cap1 quicksilver card... should I just pay off the unsecured in full and sock drawer it? Also, should I leave 30% on my card at all times or pay it off in full EVERY month? Not sure if its better to carry a small balance?

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, you won't fix this over night.. It will take time. Don't go pulling your credit score everywhere and taking HPs when you know you won't get approved. Get the secured cards and wait 6-12 months then try again.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I'm in chexsystems for the overdraft fee....it was around $400 and my bank tacked on nearly $300 in fees by the time it was over. I'm 27 years old and well aware that I have much work ahead of me....I'm just trying to find my starting point is all. I actually have a scope of about 5-6 years from now...when any collections I can't have removed through disputes will drop off my report completely...but in the meantime, I would like to do all I can to establish positives. Last year I had major medical issues while uninsured and seemingly every unpaid bill I received is now on my report....it's quite discouraging.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, and to answer your question about other debt I do have a student loan that is currently in deferment...so at the very least it isn't affecting my report because of past due payments....I'm assuming having the high balance of the loan( $7,500) with $0 paid, is.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

it was around $400 and my bank tacked on nearly $300 in fees by the time it was over.

Did it happen to be BofA? Those $%&#$'s did that to me years ago.... AFTER holding on to an ATM deposit for two full business days before posting it.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.