Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit problem because of visa issues.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit problem because of visa issues.

Hi, 

I had good credit history until Jan 2012. I went to my country for 2 weeks in Jan 2012 for vacation and also had to go for visa stamping. Unfortunately I got stuck and could not come back. I had credit cards, car loan. The amount was close to 13K. Since I was outside US and not making any money I could not pay my bills on time. 

I was stuck for about 32 months and was able to come back last year after I got my visa. My credit is very bad - FICO 580 with 8+ collections, derogatory marks and charge offs. Bank also possessed the car. My car was worth more what I owed to the bank. I got 100 plus calls from collection agencies at odd hours while I was outside US. 

These are the problems I am facing now: 

1. Unable to lease an apartment. 

2. Still getting calls from collection agencies and amount has increased from 13k to 20k due to interest and late fees. 

3. Unable to get any new credit cards (ofcourse). 

I want to understand my options to come out of this. Are there any lawyers I can talk to help me settle this and fix my credit history. 

I make decent money but due to my past credit I am unable to lease an apartment. 

Please advise. 

Thanks

San

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.