Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit rebuilding and Car loan question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit rebuilding and Car loan question

I'm in the process of trying to rebuild my really bad credit and finally got back in the 600s. Not quite good yet, but it's progress. I had some old stuff drop off due to age which helped, but now I have very few accounts which is also not good. I have 5 total. A student loan which has always been in good standing, 2 medical collections, a hospital judgement which was paid years ago but still says open, and a new Fingerhut account that I opened to try to help my score. I only made one payment so far, so I don't know if it helped yet. Everything other than Fingerhut is over 4 years old.

Now to the car loan. My dad co-signed for a car about 3 years ago (one year left on the loan), but it only shows on his credit reports and not mine. I asked this on another forum a long time ago and was told that it was for the best because it could actually hurt my score because of my debt to income ratio. Now it's been three years and I've always paid on time. Would it help my credit at this point if it was reported because it's got a history of on time payments? I don't even know if the lender would report if I asked, but I was wondering if anyone knew if it would help at this point. Any advice would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit rebuilding and Car loan question

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm in the process of trying to rebuild my really bad credit and finally got back in the 600s. Not quite good yet, but it's progress. I had some old stuff drop off due to age which helped, but now I have very few accounts which is also not good. I have 5 total. A student loan which has always been in good standing, 2 medical collections, a hospital judgement which was paid years ago but still says open, and a new Fingerhut account that I opened to try to help my score. I only made one payment so far, so I don't know if it helped yet. Everything other than Fingerhut is over 4 years old.

Now to the car loan. My dad co-signed for a car about 3 years ago (one year left on the loan), but it only shows on his credit reports and not mine. I asked this on another forum a long time ago and was told that it was for the best because it could actually hurt my score because of my debt to income ratio. Now it's been three years and I've always paid on time. Would it help my credit at this point if it was reported because it's got a history of on time payments? I don't even know if the lender would report if I asked, but I was wondering if anyone knew if it would help at this point. Any advice would be appreciated.

debt to income ratios dont hurt your Fico score that is erroneous info. I would ask that it be added to your file as you are the primary why it hasnt been done is a mystery to me. Now on that judgment see about getting it vacated on grounds its been paid, some states allow this, if its granted the entry is gone from your CRs. I advise you Google the HIPAA Process and use it on those medical CAs. You need to open 3 revolving bankcards even if they need to be secured you already have your store card, this is the minimum you need to drive your FIco score. Fico gives more weight to revolving cards than any other type of loan. Welcome to MY FICO Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 3
cartwrna
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit rebuilding and Car loan question

Yes the car loan will help your score and established payment history. I had the same issue with a loan through GM Financial me and my wife were both on. I fought them a year and a half before it finally started reporting. Multiple phone calls, letters, and disputes. Turned out to be a relatively easy fix, they were coding it wrong or something like that they told me. Just showed up finally :-). Get it added, you won't be sorry! It also helps out your auto enhanced score of you ever want dealer financing or financing through lender who pulls auto enhanced.
Don’t take your credit for granted, use it with care! These days, catch me in the bankruptcy forum!?
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.