Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit repair seems like a full-time job

tag
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Credit repair seems like a full-time job

I'm getting overwhelmed with what needs to be done to try to get my credit where I need it to be.  I'm dealing with a state tax lien (paid, but still sitting there), several medical collections, and some lates (a few recent, related to my complicated relationship and him not owning up to his responsibilities). 

The homebuilder I am hoping to build with has a relationship with a credit repair person who does the legwork for you (he looks it all over, sends you the letters to sign, and guides the process).  I don't know what he charges, but for some reason, $300 sticks in my head with a money-back-minus-a-$50-setup-fee charge if I'm not satisfied with the results.

Is it worth it trying to plod forward with it myself or to pay this guy who seems to know what he's doing and doesn't seem to have a bad word about him?

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit repair seems like a full-time job

If you have the money to throw around then you can have this guy do it if you don't want to.

But it isn't as hard as you might think.  First DV, then if you agree, PFD.

Have you called the dept of revenue in your state and asked them if they will remove it since it's paid?  They just might.  I know I had a "lien" placed against me for back taxes years ago here in Oregon, but once I paid it off they said they would "remove the lien."  I wasn't looking at my credit reports back then so I don't know if it was even there.  I paid it off in 2009 and at the end of 2010 I got my first reports and it wasn't there.

It was in CAIVRS either, I was really worried it might be.

Anyway - I think you can do this.  It sounds like you only have a few things to do anyway.  Start w/ the most recent medical collections  and work backwards.  (Most recent hurt FICO the most).  You could go the HIPAA route, but PFD is faster and easier IMO for medical collections.

Who are the lates with?

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 6
RussianPassion
Regular Contributor

To me its more a fun hobby. Smiley Wink Plus, all my friends now always call me and ask me for advice. I am the official credit repair guy of my "crew" now, haha.

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I will only address one disadvantage of credit repair organizations, and it relates to disputes.

If you have disputable items on your CR, a credit repair organization is prevented from even assisting you in any direct dispute.  The implementing rules for the direct dispute process not only bar their representation of consumers, it also bars their assistance in preparation of a dispute down to the level of even providing you forms to fill out.

So if you dispute, they can only dispute via the CRA dispute process.  If you want to rely on the antiquated CRA dispute process, which among other things results in their sanitation of your dispute through their e-Oscar process, then their lack of representational ability would not be a concern.  However, if you wish to dispute directly with the party of interest, then thay are not your cup of tea.

Message 4 of 6
thankfulheart
Established Contributor

Thank you all for the replies.  Part of me wants an easy out and part of me wants to be able to look back and say, "Look how my hard work paid off".  The state tax lien was from Dec 2007, paid off in Mar 2008 (as soon as I found out about it).  I guess I'll do the DV on that one, then if it comes back, I'll beg them as an injured spouse to take it off of mine.  I'm listed as a "co-maker" on it, but hopefully, they'll be nice.  It was only $575.

The medical things, I'm still a bit concerned how to proceed there as there are a few recent ones I could easily PFD, but the same CA has older files that I can't PFD or are about ready to fall off anyway, so I'm afraid to rock the boat there.

The lates that are killing me are on a joint mortgage on a house where I no longer live and haven't for 3 years.  He had 30 day lates in Feb/Mar/Apr on that one.  We only have about $9K left, so I'm hoping to get that kicked off next year, but probably not until later in the year.  I was hoping to get mine underway in May 2012 (if I can get my scores where they need to be).  I didn't know if a GW letter to the mortgage company would be worth anything.  I don't care if they leave it on HIS credit, I'd just like it off mine.

Starting Score: 10/1/2011 EQ 568 TU 593
Current Score: EQ 664 TU 700 EX 701 (FAKO)

Message 5 of 6
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

It's actually not that hard- at first it's time consuming because you have to learn so much- however, down the road, it gets so much easier and completely builds your confidence-  Plus I believe it totally helps - at least for me- i WILL NEVER EVER let anything EVER AGAIN go to collections or judgements etc....  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.