Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit report dispute backfired

tag
sky_king03
Established Member

Credit report dispute backfired

Hey there I have been lurking for a while and trying to work on rebuilding my credit.

I recently pulled my free credit reports. EQ and TU looked ok. They had my negative accounts that consisted of a sallie mae CO and late payments on credit cards back in 2011 when I struggled with part time work and didn't face my creit probelems head on. I worked through a credit counsleing service to reduce my monthly payments and help me pay off debt. Citi was the one that hurts the most as they reported my account late until I made enough payments to bring the account current as if I paid below the min payment each time. However both reports show my ontime payments and my reduction in overall debt. Since then my scores have also gone up from a low of 550 in 2011. After paying off 3 of the 5 credit cards my scores are EQ 710 and TU 700.

My problem score is EX 630. I reviewed the experian credit report and it too showed the SM CO and my late payments to my credit cards, but it also showed two accounts in collections. One for a medical bill $120 and another for libray fine $40. I knew of the library fine and I paid the library directly. However it seems they had already sent the account to collections. I did the online dispute with EX and claimed the account was already paid. Have yet to hear anything back about this dispute.

Now for the medical bill I did have trouble paying it at the time and once the bill went to collections I pulled up enough cash and paid the medical bill directly to the facility and not the CA. I know that was a mistake now as the CA still has the record that I didn't pay. The CA is NCO Financial. I disputed the claim on my report in hopes they didn't have the correct information on it and it would be removed. Well this attempt has backfired cause this morning I recieved an alert from the EX credit monitoring (Free from the target breach) that I had a new negative account listed and it is from NCO Financial. Great an acoount that was listed as in collections in 2011 is now listed in collections in 2014. I was working on improving my credit so I could apply for some good travel reward cards this summer to use on future vacations. I don't know how the CA relisting my collections will hurt my credit score.

I'm looking for some advice as to how I should procede. I was thinking of sending a PFD letter to NCO to get the collections removed. I hate to pay for the bill twice but currently I can afford to do this and if it helps my credit it could be worth it. Has anyone had success with PFD especially with NCO. Or should I try something else. Thanks for any advice.

EX: 680 CS: 716, TU: 715 CK: 680, EQ: 695

Amex PRG, Barclays Arrival+ $5000, US Bank Kroger Visa $1000, Cap One Union Plus $1300, Cap One QS $2250, Amazon Store Card $1200, Belk $600, JCP $800
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
titanofold
Established Contributor

Re: Credit report dispute backfired

I would write a DV to find out what the debt is for. If it is for something you've already paid, they don't have the rights to collect on a debt that no longer exists.

Do everything in writing. Do not make any phone calls. Request that all responses be in writing. You want a paper trail.

Scores2013-09-21Current
Equifax630 (LP)755 (CK)/749 (Quizzle)
Experian640 (FCR)FICO 707 (Amex)
TransUnion588 (CK)FICO 754 (Barclaycard)
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.