cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit report dispute of OC stopped collection calls...but why?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit report dispute of OC stopped collection calls...but why?

I have an odd situation that I have been unable to find any information on or similar situations. I am hoping to buy a home next year and started working early to make sure there was no surprises when applying for a mortgage came around. I found GE Capital had charged off and sent an account to collections an account I was sure was paid. All of a sudden I have been getting between 4-8 collection calls from Portfolio Recovery a day. They are also listed on my credit reports. I disputed the original account at all 3 bureaus because the displayed payment amounts were all different on each report and did not add up right.
All bureaus updated the info...Experian deleted all past account history, Equifax says updated but I see no difference even on close inspection, and Transunion changed the account to paid after collection.
All of a sudden...the calls from Portfolio Recovery stopped. However, the credit entries from PR have not changed. I am stumped as to what to do next and what usable proof I have to have PR removed from my report or getting Experian and Equifax to change their entries...any help is appreciated.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit report dispute of OC stopped collection calls...but why?

What is shown as the Date Opened by the debt collector in the reporting of their collection?

Did their collection referral occur prior to your payment of the debt to the OC?

Has the collection updated to show a $0 balance remaining under collection?

Perhaps they had assigned collection authority prior to your satisfaction of the debt, and now realize the debt was paid..........

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

All of the info is different from each of the CRA's. The collection account shows an opening date of Feb 2014 on Experian and Transunion, and May 2014 on Equifax. On the OC account the dates of last activity are July 2013 on Equifax, May 2013 on TU, and not available on Experian. The status for the OC accounts are charge off on Equifax, payment after charge off on TU and past due amount written off on Experian....I disputed the OC on the same day with all 3 CRA's and this is what came back.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

All of the OC entries on the reports show $0 balance and closed...but all of the collection accounts show $640 and all show open.
Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the debt is paid, the collection must show a $0 balance under their collection.

So you can at least file a dispute, either with the CRA or directly with the debt collector, regarding the inaccurate reporting of an unpaid debt remaining under their collection.

Additionally, if you paid the debt prior to their Open date for their collection, you can also dispute the entire reporting of their collection as inaccurte.

They must have obtained collection autoritty prior to the debt being discharged in order to report a collection.

The Open date of  their collection reflects their reporting of when they obtained their collection authority.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The original debt was a retail card I used to purchase furniture. The furniture was delivered broken and after several attempts by the company to repair it, the sales manager agreed to reduce the price 10%. Since it was paid for on a store card the manager told me he was applying the discount to the card. I was also making larger than minimum payments. The CRA'S reports did not show the payment made by the store for the refund and since GE money changed to Synchrony I have been getting the run around about where and when the where the refund was applied...that is why I disputed them first.
I am so confused that each CRA "investigated" and all came back with different info...so I am not sure which one is right.
As for Portfolio Recovery, I believe it should have never have been listed as a collection and should have been paid in full, and was hoping to establish that with the OC before messing with the collection. But since I am getting nowhere talking with Synchrony and the disputes all are different... I don't know what to do. I am glad the calls stopped...but the reports are still there and I am afraid of disputing PR because I have no concrete evidence that it is in error and don't want to be back on their radar without a strong defense against them.
Is being listed as paid in full after collection on one report enough to get them to go away?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.