Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit report show false negative credit card account

tag
improvent363
New Contributor

Credit report show false negative credit card account

It is a Discover credit card account. It is actually my son, so I don’t know why they put the SAME EXACT amount and credit card account on my credit report also!. '

Is this illegal and can I sue them for it as it has been there for over a year? How do I tell them to remove it and has this similar situation happened to someone else? If so what did you do? 

Is it their because it’s a negative (my son didn’t pay the amount more than $2,000 and discover card put a judgement on it so they can actually take money from his bank!)?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit report show false negative credit card account

Inaccurate reporting is not per se a violation of the FCRA.

One would need to show that they intentionally reported inaccurate information with knowledge at the time of its reporting of its inaccuracy.  FCRA 623(a)(1).

Even then, a consumer cannot directly bring their own private civil action for knowingly inaccurate credit reporting.  FCRA 623(c) and (d).

You must first file a dispute of its accuracy and compel a reasonable investigation on their part.

If they verify the accuracy after investigation of your dispute, you can then bring civil action for a lack of reasonable investigatin of your dispute.

If you are contemplating any civil action, you should first file a dispute of the accuracy of their reporting, and provide them the opportunity to investigate and correct.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@improvent363 wrote:

It is a Discover credit card account. It is actually my son, so I don’t know why they put the SAME EXACT amount and credit card account on my credit report also!. '

Is this illegal and can I sue them for it as it has been there for over a year? How do I tell them to remove it and has this similar situation happened to someone else? If so what did you do? 

Is it their because it’s a negative (my son didn’t pay the amount more than $2,000 and discover card put a judgement on it so they can actually take money from his bank!)?

Did you cosign the account?

If you are in no way legally liable for the account, you can dispute it.

I would call Discover first to make sure you aren't an account holder. If so, then unfortunately you are liable. If your son obtained a credit card and added you as a co-applicant without your knowledge, that is fraud. You can file a dispute for that as well, but you'd have to agree to press charges against your son.

Hopefully it's just some kind of error in reporting and calling either Discover, or disputing it with the CRA's gets it taken off of your reports immediately.

Best of luck.

Message 3 of 6
improvent363
New Contributor

Okay. Got it.

My son actually put me as an AUTHORIZED USER but I never used the card.  Does that make this credit card account valid and I am liable for this negative credit card account balance? Meaning, do I have to pay for it?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are not financially liable for Authorized User accounts. Ask your son to remove you as an AU, if he doesn't contact Discover and ask them to remove you from the account.

Message 5 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

I think that is a good suggestion in getting yourself removed, especially if you had no knowledge of being added as an AU.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.