Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score a "0" !!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit score a "0" !!!

My hubby and I are trying to get our first house. We were given the advise (from a friend) to dispute everything on our credit, which we did and my credit score went up,however, his went to a ZERO!!! We were told it's because he has no new or open lines of credit to base a score off of. He has since gotten a credit card to start building his credit. He made sure that they report every month, to all 3 credit agencies. He has CA's that our broker told us not worry about paying because the dates are years old. I'm wondering how soon we can expect to see some result on his score. The credit card is one of those $200 limit, $150 in charges to start, with a beginning available balance of like $50. I'm also wondering if we would have better results paying the minimum payment for 3 months then paying it off completely or paying it off completely 1st then keep it at a $0 balance for the rest of the time. We're looking to have his mid score @ 620 to qualify for an FHA loan within 6 months. Is this even possible?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit score a "0" !!!

You need at least six months of established credit reporting to a CRA to establish a credit score.

But that make take 7-8 months from initial date of account to show on his CR due to delays in creditor reproting, and CRA posting.

Assume 8 months max from account opening date and it will pop up.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You don't NEED  a credit score to buy a house. People had home loans before credit scores were around. You just have to find a lender that does manual underwritting.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it is his only CC, let a very small balance report, even $1.

You don't want 0% utilization.

Minimum Requirements for a FICO Score

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Our broker told us he has 2 lenders who will do a mortgage with a zero credit score but we don't have the down payment saved yet. We found a house that we love, it's vacant and the owners are considering a rent to own option, so we can get out of our apartment and into the house, while saving for the 3.5% down payment (FHA loan requirement) and building his credit score. We want to take advantage of the $8,000 govt. tax credit as well so, we're hoping to have his score built up by December so we can purchase at that time. If his scores aren't where they need to be we will just have to wait longer and miss the December deadline I guess. This house buying thing is so nerve wracking!
Message 5 of 7
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

How are your payment histories on your CC's?  Can you add hubby as an AU?  If you can add those then maybe he could look at taking a small installment loan, put some money towards paying loan down and some towards savings.  The mix of credit may increase his score a bit more also.  GW the CA's and see if you can get them removed.  Also, the cutoff day for the first time homebuyer credit is Nov. 30th.  There may be other ways to get around the 0 score.  If you can get the CA removed from his credit then you can look at finding a lender who will do a manual underwrite on an FHA and use Alt credit (things like insurance payments, cell phone, utilities etc) to qualify.  Check out the mortgage board for more on that.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I open my credit card end septemter and I get my score of april 1.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.