Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score drop after new CC inquiry/addition

tag
AQ
New Contributor

Credit score drop after new CC inquiry/addition

Hello,

I am in the process of rebuilding credit after a BK discharge a little over one year ago.  I applied for a Walmart Card (store card) last week, it was approved, but it dropped my credit score almost 30 points on my EQ.  This was my 4th inquiry in the last year (and will be my last!).  Is there a guesstimation how long this might negatively impact my credit score.  I don't plan to have any more HP inquiries for the rest of the year.  I figured it would drop my score, but not that much.  A bit of a sting, for certain. 

Thanks!

Starting Score: TU 641 2/28/13 EQ 640 3/1/13
Current Score: TU706 EQ???
Goal Score: 750 750

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
navistar
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit score drop after new CC inquiry/addition

new inquiries and cards hurt at first but you have to start somewhere.

MyFico Equifax - 691
MyFico Experian - 692
Barclay Transunion - 682 (Last Updated 03/21/14)

Citi Diamond Preferred - $2,300 / Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage - $5,600 / Barclay - $4,600 / GE Care Credit - $1,000
Current Utilization - 52% / AAoA - 6yrs
Message 2 of 6
AQ
New Contributor

Agreed.  To be fair, I had three cards.  I was iffy about applying for a fourth, but the financing options seemed beneficial, in case of rare situations.  I just didn't expect a 30 point drop, but that doesn't seem to be unheard of, from what I can tell. Maybe that was one pull over the line.  My others didn't hurt my score like that, and some of them actually helped right off the bat.

Message 3 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@AQ wrote:

Hello,

I am in the process of rebuilding credit after a BK discharge a little over one year ago.  I applied for a Walmart Card (store card) last week, it was approved, but it dropped my credit score almost 30 points on my EQ.  This was my 4th inquiry in the last year (and will be my last!).  Is there a guesstimation how long this might negatively impact my credit score.  I don't plan to have any more HP inquiries for the rest of the year.  I figured it would drop my score, but not that much.  A bit of a sting, for certain. 

Thanks!

If that score is a FAKO ignore it, it means nothing in the real world. Inquiries usually only drop score a few points for those in the 600 and low 700 groups, for a FICO drop of 30 points you would need to be in the 800 club for that many points to be given up.

Message 4 of 6
AQ
New Contributor

Thanks, but it was EQ FICO. I don't bother with FAKOs.

Seems an 800 club would fall less, due to resiliency factors.

Message 5 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Acquiring new accounts is sometimes a necessary evil.  You need accounts that will age, and you need them to thicken your file.  With the new account, it's like fertilizer, sure it stinks, but your scores will grow!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.