cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score dropped 27 points on Credit Karma. Why did this happen?

tag
Insomnia
Established Member

Credit score dropped 27 points on Credit Karma. Why did this happen?

I made the mistake of applying for a Barclays NFL credit card yesterday because Credit Karma said I had a good chance of getting it (through their recommended offers)

I got an alert in my email today saying that there was a hard inquiry, which of course I expected.  What I didn't expect was such a big credit score drop of 27 points.  I thought that hard inquiries were only supposed to take away 3-10 points at most.

This was the only thing I applied for in months.  I was happy to see my score increased this past week by 42 points, but now its back down again because of this inquiry.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

Re: Credit score dropped 27 points on Credit Karma. Why did this happen?

Its possible that your score drop reflects the inquiry and the addition of a new account.  Barclays tends to report right away so it was probably a drop in your AAOA's as well. I believe credit karma only factors your open accounts into their scoring model. That would most likely make the appearance of a new account seem more drastic.

Message 2 of 9
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

Credit Karma can be good because its free, but I still wouldnt consider it a great tool. It is very flawed and you cant see your actual reports.

Message 3 of 9
Insomnia
Established Member

Thanks for your input!

I forgot to mention that I was also denied for a credit card with them.

Message 4 of 9
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

Credit Karma really is only educational at best.  If youre really worried about it all you can really do is pull an actual FICO from here or a report to see if there any changes any where else.  My credit Karma shows at like 680 vs. my FICO at 743.

Message 5 of 9
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Do NOT go by CreditKarma!  Barclay's is a difficult card to get.  A 27 pt hit is a LOT...especially for a card you were denied for.

When THINKING about applying, hop over the CC forum and check out the posts. 

Message 6 of 9
coterotie
Established Contributor

My Experian took a 45 point hit from 2 inquiries.  Barclay and Cap1 auto finance.  Was approved for both along with a Sportsman's Visa which was a soft pull.  No drop from Equifax or TU from the Cap1 inquiry.   Cap1 pulled all 3, Barclay only Experian.

Message 7 of 9
dzemboc77
Established Member

Credit Karma is crap. It was the first free tool I started to use when rebuilding my credit. My score in almost 2 years has gone up over 100 points  on any other site however on CreditCrap its actually has moved like 3 points at 1 point it actually went down like 10. I have made no late payments, no inquires,  if anything my credit lines have gone up, length of credit history up and baddies down........ I don't get that site. If I use the estimator I can pretty much do anything and my score wont go up. I could get a 10k limit on a card, pay off 100k of debt and nothing its a joke.

Message 8 of 9
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Insomnia wrote:

Thanks for your input!

I forgot to mention that I was also denied for a credit card with them.

Try to recon with Barclay's through the back door number. They are good with reconsiderations.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.