cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score drops after credit card payment?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit score drops after credit card payment?!

I made my normal credit card payment to Boscovs (Comenity Bank) and because the balance decreased my score dropped 7 points?????? I am so confused. I thought my score is suppose to go up the more I pay down my cards. I was going to pay it off but now I am second guessing myself.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit score drops after credit card payment?!

That's not the reason it happened.

Where did you get your score from?  Website?

Did any other possibly negative things happen in the recent weeks, such as a different card showing a higher balance, or using more cards than last month with balances, or a new inquiry, etc?

Any brand new accounts start reporting that lowered your AAoA?

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes MyFico had emailed me that there was a balance change and when I checked the alert it showed that my score dropped 7 pts because of it

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The alert notification (balance change) is not the reason for the new score.  When you get an alert, it also pulls a fresh score, but the score is NOT changed because of the alert reason.

You have other things going on that don't trigger alerts, and those things lowered your score.

Alerts have two totally separate info points:

1. A change that triggers an alert
  2. A new fresh score pulled that may have gone up or down for a totally different reason
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I did not know that...I am new to all of this!

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It happened to all of us and is very annoying but be thankful you get a fresh score with every alert -- but the alert may not be why a score changed. Annoying but still useful!
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also -- some small fluctuations in score are normal (balances, inquiries, etc.)  Worrying about 10 pts, unless you are in the immediate need to apply for something (mortgage, car loan) isn't necessary as long as you know you are on the right track.  Pay on time, keep balances low, don't app for things out the wazoo....and your scores will hold pretty steady.   Worry more when you are ready to take a jump for something (ie car, mortgage) and plan accordingly ahead of that jump.   If you worry about every 5 pt flux you'll drive yourself batty Smiley Frustrated - and trust me on the rebuilding road that is easy to do!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. Yes I have been driving myself crazy over my scores!! I was hoping to get a mortgage come February but I dont see that happening...

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best path for a mortgage approval is to completely stop spending money on any luxuries and work on paying any balances down on everything.

Posting what your credit report looks like can get you some awesome suggestions!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.