cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score has gone up, but for how long?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit score has gone up, but for how long?

Hello All,

So, I recently submitted a bunch of disputes (based on advice on another site). I've noticed that my credit score has gone up about 10-20 points each in the last 30 days. Could it be because I have accounts that are in disputed statuses? And will the scores go back down if the inquiries are unfounded?

Thank you for your help!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Credit score has gone up, but for how long?

Dunno. I generally wait till after dispute is finalized before checking scores (as recommended by the CRA's themselves).

Also, be careful about dispute, dispute dispute. I would stick to this site,vs. The other site for true credit repair.

When I disputed with CRA's, outcome not so good. When tackled through other methods, either the original creditor or collection agency directly, much better results.

Look into pay for deletes. Collections have already done the damage. It's more expensive than disputes, but yields better results. Don't pay unless they delete, and be careful of poking the bear.

You have lots to learn, this site and internet research goes a long way. I cleared collections falling off between 2016 and 2019, all reports are now clean if baddies. I know of which I speak. Smiley Wink

Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the help. I no longer turn to other sites for advice, this site has been great. Also, I get alerts when my score changes from this site that's how I know it's gone up. So, did you get all the collections off by paying? That's my next plan of attack. 

Thanks again! 

Message 3 of 5
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the help. I no longer turn to other sites for advice, this site has been great. Also, I get alerts when my score changes from this site that's how I know it's gone up. So, did you get all the collections off by paying? That's my next plan of attack. 

Thanks again! 

Some were paid in exchange for deletion.  If you have cell phone and/ or cable companies, pay for delete through collection agencies ONLY.  Comcast, t mobile, etc. are famous for reps saying anything to get payment, when they have no connection to the credit report office.

mine were medical, and I had several that backdated my insurance coverage (so I actually didn't owe some I payed for delete). I had the original creditors pull from collection agency, then called and confirmed with collection agency removal.  If they don't remove after pull, this means they don't want to pay for removal.  In that case, dispute as OC paid, before collection placed, OC removed from collection, collection agency has no right to collect on account, etc.

Most of mine were disputed over the phone with US reps, though online work very well with experian.  You need to ask to transfer to US, so call when US is open.  If your income is below 200% poverty (23k for single person gross), then investigate charity care for any medical bills owing.  The new health care law is more liberal about backdating to cover medical bills.

Signature needs updating
Message 4 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello All,

So, I recently submitted a bunch of disputes (based on advice on another site). I've noticed that my credit score has gone up about 10-20 points each in the last 30 days. Could it be because I have accounts that are in disputed statuses? And will the scores go back down if the inquiries are unfounded?

Thank you for your help!

What happens when you dispute an item certain aspects of it are removed from Fico scoring so your score may tend to rise, once the investigation is complete and the TL still remains those attributes that were removed temporarily from scoring will again be used in scoring. You really dont want to dispute at the CRA level unless you are pretty certain of getting the TL removed, a better way would be a Section 623 Direct Dispute with the creditor in an effort to get them to report correct information.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.