Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit score to have Discover cancel?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit score to have Discover cancel?

Anyone ever had a credit card canceled on them? Where was your credit score? What happened?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
EW800
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit score to have Discover cancel?

I am sure that this can vary with every profile, however when my wife and I went through the worst of times a couple of years ago (foreclosure and very high Util), our scores fell through the floor to the 520-ish range.  Discover did not cancel or even lower the CL.  I am not sure if we just got lucky and they didn't do an AR during that period of time or if it was because we never had a late on the Discover account, but either way they left us alone.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 2 of 8
EW800
Valued Contributor

Adding to what I wrote above, we only had one credit card company take action against us when our scores fell through the floor.  Capital One moved our CL fro $8400 to $3400.  About a year later, I assume when they saw that everything else was on-time and scores were rising again, they moved us back to the $8400, which is where we were when the problems began.  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 3 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyone ever had a credit card canceled on them? Where was your credit score? What happened?

Sure multiple times for BK, dont remember scores back then I know my first one Fico scores werent even used in the credit system, also had them canceled for mechants going out of business. You would need to elaborate more on why you are asking this question so we can get a better idea of what is happening to you.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX is demanding a pay in full for a card I had, which is tough to cough up ~2000. Otherwise, they will keep reporting late. I don't want Discover to cancel as it is my last card in good standing, but I think the AMEX will have to go at least 60 or 90 days late.

Message 5 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

AMEX is demanding a pay in full for a card I had, which is tough to cough up ~2000. Otherwise, they will keep reporting late. I don't want Discover to cancel as it is my last card in good standing, but I think the AMEX will have to go at least 60 or 90 days late.

If this is an AMEX charge card then ya they can continue to report it late until its PIF the terms are 1 month, if its a revolver and you continue to make the minimum payments it can be restored as a current account as long as it has not gone to CO status. I would call AMEX and give them a workable plan, keep them in the loop. If there is a slew of recent closures due to non payment or lates then you may lose the Discover too if this is just an Amex problem then the odds are better in being able to keep it as long as you are making the payments on it on time.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it was just AMEX. All the other cards are on time and not reporting.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had AMEX since 2008. Not a single late payment. No CLD or AA even when the bottom fell out with my credit. FICO's got down into the 560's at their lowest.

On top of this, I was carrying a balance of between 40% and 65% out of a CL of $5,000. Everyone's experience will vary, Perhaps it helped that I submitted a 4506-T when I first requested a higher CL than originally given when I first opened the account.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.