cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit union approval question

tag
Lordberkman

Credit union approval question

Yesterday I was approved by my local credit union for a refi on my cars and at the same time a cc with a 15k limit. See my entire profile below:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Need-adivce-on-rebuilding/td-p/2518943

My question to all of you is,

While I am in the "application" process with the cu, and I know the check on my report has not hit yet, should I try and app for another card somewhere else, ie another cu or Amex,citi, or chase. My hp from Experian is a 687 with 4-6inqs.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit union approval question

I would go with Chase, i got approved for them before i went to the credit union.  I was "told" that NFCU did a soft pull on Exp.  they did two hard pulls, Eq and Tu.   Chase did 4500 for me BUT they hit me with 4 HP, two under the name Chase and two under the name NSA or something.    At the same time, i applied for a Citi and got popped across the head like i had done something wrong.  

Others might have better advice on the cards.  Thats just what i just went through.  the inquires from NCFU hit today and i just applied for the card lastnight.

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 2 of 10
Lordberkman

Credit union ran my credit but I don't see the inq on my reports. Is there a lag time to showing up or is Experian not updating my reports??

Not interested in 4hp. Do you know why they did? Will they correct. Do you know who chase pulled?

My cu ran a hp as well
Message 3 of 10
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

I think chase pulled Tu and Eq.   I have not been alerted by Ex about an inquiry from NFCU.  But I got them from the other two the next day.

I dont know why Chase did so many but after my experience I saw on the forum that they hit everyone like that.  I was told today by a loan officer at First Flight Federal CU that NFCU will use a hard pull and go off of that perticular pull for 30 days.  She does all her loans through NFCU but works at First Flight.   It could be different with other CU's, I dont know.

Need someone a little more familiar with CU's to chime in....  Im still learning them.  Spent 3 hours in two days with the loan officers at each trying to figure out how they each work.

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
Starting Score 538
Message 4 of 10
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

Are you sure they pulled Equifax? Credit Unions have a tendency to pull Equifax. NFCU pulls Transunion to join and they will pull equifax for credit, sometimes Transunion as well. Use caution, NFCU will do a HP if you say their name out loud. Lol

Message 5 of 10
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

Ya Chase hit EQ and TU.    First Flight said they use EQ only.  You are right about NFCU, they hit more than one.  I will have to go back thru the inquiries and look, I will have to refresh my memory.   I applied for a persoanl loan with NFCU lastnight thru the website.  Its under review.  I am going to call the branch when the open in 30 minutes to talk to a loan officer and see if that will help.  I am try to redo a high intrest subprime loan of 4100.00   I didnt get an instant approval lastnight.

Starting Score 538
Message 6 of 10
James82
Regular Contributor

My CU uses TU by default but gave me the option to pull EQ if I wanted.

Starting Score: EQ 574 - 08.28.13
High Score: EQ 714 (10/18/13) EX 686 (1/6/14) TU 664 (1/6/14)
Current Score: EQ 686 - EX ____- TU ____

Message 7 of 10
themizlyne
Regular Contributor

NFCU hits EQ whenever I chat with them.
Message 8 of 10
Lordberkman

Logix pulled experian. Went in today to sign new docs, And was blown away that he "printed" my cards on the spot.
Message 9 of 10
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

Awesome ! I withdrew the personal loan from NFCU. They approved it for 18 percent. Wells Fargo had a 681 pull from Eq 5 days ago. The NFCU branch personnel here have dissapointed me. Long story I will tell later ( I am on my phone in the camper hahaha ). Banking will most likely be transferred to First Flight Fed. I still want to check out Marine Federal next week.
Starting Score 538
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.