cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit union

tag
Mambisa

Credit union

Through my job, I have access to membership in two credit unions. One offers auto loan rates of 11.24 APR for credit scores within my range. I would be very happy with a rate like that, considering that I had to take a usurious 22.34 from Cap One. 

Is credit union membership worth the effort to refinance? I sent in a $5 first share as the start of a savings account this week, but I'd like to ask the experts on this forum whether credit union membership is a good path to refinancing my auto loan while rebuilding my credit. 

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: 572
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Henchman21
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit union

That's half the interest that you're paying, so I would think it's worth it.
2/16/13 Scores EX: 594, TU:513, EQ:563 -- Cap One Secured: $200, Kay's: $400

GOAL #1: 625 -- CHECK!

3/31/15 Scores TU: 621 -- Cap One Secured: $750, Kay's: $900, CareCredit: $1000, Aerie $350, Fingerhut $1350

Goal #2: A travel card. REC ME!
Message 2 of 7
Mambisa

Are credit unions as picky when it comes to approvals as banks?

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: 572
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 7
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Credit Unions are one of the best places to get refi and credit cards as they offer very good rates based on your Fico scores.

Message 4 of 7
Henchman21
Frequent Contributor

From what I've seen, they typically lend to lower scores more often than the big banks. I know with my personal bank, not a CU, but a small regional branch, that this is true.
2/16/13 Scores EX: 594, TU:513, EQ:563 -- Cap One Secured: $200, Kay's: $400

GOAL #1: 625 -- CHECK!

3/31/15 Scores TU: 621 -- Cap One Secured: $750, Kay's: $900, CareCredit: $1000, Aerie $350, Fingerhut $1350

Goal #2: A travel card. REC ME!
Message 5 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

CU are much better than banks IMHO.  They keep their rates lower because of member shares, meaning they are all part owners.

If you have or had a relative in the military you could also try NFCU.

Message 6 of 7
RoR215

Credit Union are great. I belong to a local Credit Union where I live. A couple years ago, when I half way started working on my credit, my car broke down. I knew my credit was still in very bad shape, and instead of going to my credit union for the auto loan (I was scared), I went to one of those buy here pay here, garunteed approval places. You know, the ones where your paying more in interest the entire loan than you are on the car. Well, after a year of making ridiculous payments, on time, every month, most of the time early, I decided to try my credit union for a refi on the loan. I went in, expecting a denial, as since I was making such high payments on my car, I had nothing to put towards old debts on my credit.

To my surprise (shock is a better word) I was approved. The rep helping me said "Yeah, your credit isn't in the best shape, but if you had come to us first, given you have great history here, we could have approved you." I was floored. And, of course, kicking myself. My monthly payment to my car was cut in half, and my interest was 3/4 less than what it had been.

Fast forward a year from then, the extra money from what I had left over of the old car payment going towards old debts and savings.I decided to try for CCs with my credit union just this past weekend. I apped for 2 secured credit cards with them, (again, fear taking hold went secured instead of unsecured to rebuild), instant approval for 1 limit of 2,000 and 1 with a limit of 1,000. They told me after a year, as long as I always paid on time and kept good history, instant unsecured on those 2 cards.

So I love credit unions. If you keep good history with them, they will bend over backwards for you, and will help alot with offering advise on rebuilding your credit. Next step for me, is next year, I'm app'ing for a mortgage with them.

Good Luck to you, and if you can get into a credit union, I would say why are you even hesitating? lol.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.