cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit utilization

tag
kitm

Credit utilization

I have a decent credit score, and the main thing holding my credit score down is my high credit utilization (around the 85%). I'm in the process of trying to pay it off.

How much will I have to lower it before I start seeing results on my credit score? I'm talking like even small changes. What would be a do-able/moderate range to aim for?

Most of the information I find says I should get it below at least 35% and from what I understand, that's pushing it, but I want to set smaller goals first and would like to know if any small changes would make a difference on my credit score.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit utilization

I paid an extra 500.00 on 1 account and 200.00 on another and I seen a boost in my score. And I am running 95% UTL. right now and just like you, will be slowly in small amounts reducing it.

Even small amounts will add up :-)

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 2 of 3
kitm

Re: Credit utilization

That's good to hear. Smiley Happy

I was getting really discouraged reading things on other websites saying that without getting it below 35% it would it would basically be a big black mark on my credit report. I'm glad to hear that making the extra payments are working for you.

Thank you for your response. It really lifted my spirits and gave me hope that the small changes will make a difference.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.