Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit went down with new accounts added

tag
NibblesTreats
Frequent Contributor

Credit went down with new accounts added

So I've recieved alerts stating that my score has gone down a few points since some new accounts were listed.  Once they age a little bit, will my score go back up with good use of them?  They are store cards that I got to assist with building my credit back up. 

Starting Score: TU 607, EX 606, EQ 611
Current Score: TU 675, EX 671, EQ 654 - FAKO scores TU 744, EX 735, EQ 728 - I wish these were my real scores!
Goal Score: 750 across the board. Simulator says 806 if I stay on track for 24 months
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Credit went down with new accounts added

That is a sometimes normal event with new accounts being added.  Yes, your score should recover in the next 6 months or so.

Message 2 of 9
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

6 months?!? Why so long? Is AAoA that big of a deal? Or is the inq?

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 9
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

@newmomnewme wrote:

6 months?!? Why so long? Is AAoA that big of a deal? Or is the inq?

A "Little" bit of both.....

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The new accounts need to age.

AAoA only counts for 10% of the score but say you only had one account that was 10 years old and you added 3, each 1 month old it is going to drop your AAoA from 10 years to about 2 and half years.  So in that respect, yes, it is a big deal.

Message 5 of 9
NibblesTreats
Frequent Contributor

Well that's a bummer - but  hopefully it's a temporary issue and will help me overall.  I was just a bit sad this morning to see it going in the wrong direction.

Current Score: TU 675, EX 671, EQ 654 - FAKO scores TU 744, EX 735, EQ 728 - I wish these were my real scores!
Goal Score: 750 across the board. Simulator says 806 if I stay on track for 24 months
Message 6 of 9
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@nibbles Chin up! When those GW start working, you will get those points right back....or if Midland gets handled first, we will be having an on-line party in your honor!!!!!

Message 7 of 9
NibblesTreats
Frequent Contributor

LOL, thanks for the encouragement @newmom!  I really wanted to look into NFCU now that we've all be talking about it more, but I worry because I've had HP's for the new accounts I've recently added so I'm not sure if they will feel it's been too many and deny me - leaving me with another hard pull!

Message 8 of 9
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@nibbles, check out the credit card forum here....I think I read that NFCU can be HP happy, but they don't deny based on # of inq. The rep I spoke to on the phone today told me that they look at more than credit score for loan approval. I am still in shock over the10k CL. Unbelievable. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.