Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credited account reported as paid collection account

tag
cjane1
Frequent Contributor

Credited account reported as paid collection account

Who do I go through to dispute a  collection on my credit report. It is from Sprint posted has a paid:closed as a collection account. Tje thing is that Sprint credited my account because of the circumstances of the bill finally after a year of trying to get someone who was reasonable.

The promotion gives you 30 days to decide if you like the service or not . On the 30 day I called and told them I do not like the Nextel service and wanted to go back to the sprint phone. Well the person I spoke to said that the phone had to be back to them by the 30th day, which was not on the agreement. Needless to say she did not agree with me as a much as I told her I had 30 days  to decide.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credited account reported as paid collection account

If it was posted to your CR as a collection, they were required to have sent you a formal collection (dunning) notice within 5-days after posting.  FDCPA 809(a).

Did they do that?  If not, you have them on an FDCPA violation.

If it was reported as a collection, who reported it?  If it was reported by the original credtior under their name, that is not proper.  The OC cannot, under their own name, act as a debt collector, and thus report a collection to your credit report.  What is the name of the OC, and the name of the CA?

As far as disputing, send them a direct dispute under FCRA 623(a)(8).  I would not dispute through the CRA.

Sample direct ditpute leter:

“This is a Notice of Direct Dispute with you, under the provisions of FCRA 623(a)(8)(D), of the accuracy of information you have posted to my credit file.

“In compliance with FCRA 623(a)(8)(D), and enacting regulations published at 74 Fed Reg 31484 (July  1, 2009), this Notice includes:

“Identification of the specific information being disputed:

(specify the account number, and the specific information being disputed)

“Basis for the dispute:

(how the reporting was inaccurate; based on any statutory or regulatory provisions?)

“Supporting documentation:

(all documents that support your dispute; make sure to include,

as part of your documentation, at least a copy of the portion of your

recent credit report showing their reporting of the

disputed information)

“Under the provisions of FCRA 623(a)(8)(E), you have the duty to review all of the information in this Notice of Dispute, to complete your investigation, and report back to me the results of your investigation, within 30-days of my Notice of Dispute.”

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.