cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creditor Still Owns The Debt

tag
kalvinc

Creditor Still Owns The Debt

Okay, so here's the situation.  I owe my old ISP (Mediacom) about $188.50 for 3 months of unpaid bills.  Mediacom is not reporting anymore, but CCS is.  I called CCS and asked if they owned the debt outright and they told me Mediacom still owns the debt, they are just collecting it for them.  So I give Mediacom a call, and they are all excited and transfer me to their collection office.  I ask the guy if he is going to report it once I pay the debt.  He said "absolutely".  I just asked him for the direct number to his department and told him I would be giving him a call back.  

Here's the question.  Once I pay Mediacom, CCS cannot update their status to "PAID" can they?  I mean.... I'm not paying CCS, I'm paying Mediacom.  CCS will be required to delete their entry and stop reporting, correct?  And if so, can Mediacom now go on there and mark a collection and put as "PAID"?  Obviously, I don't want them reporting ANYTHING!  How do I get them to understand that?  The guy I talked to was just like... oh well we send the collection agency a letter and they update it.  

So flustered... don't know what to do.

Starting Score: Jan 2014: TU 620 | EQ 565 | EX 620

Current Score: Feb 2014: TU 609 EQ 596 EX 689
Goal Score: All 800+ December 2016

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
lmfields84
Regular Contributor

Re: Creditor Still Owns The Debt

Typically if you pay an OC (Mediacom) they retract it from collections on the grounds that it was paid.  However, I do not put it past any CA to not just update it to "paid".  I would talk to a supervisor at Mediacom and ask questions/get confirmation before proceeding.

Our 2014 Rebuilding Log- Check Out Our Progress!
In Our Wallet: NFCU Cash Rewards $14k | NFCU LOC $15k | NFCU LOC $12k | NFCU Platinum Visa $8.5k | NFCU Platinum MC $1k Discover IT $1400 | Walmart Store Card $1.4k | Synchrony $1k | ToysRUs $500
Message 2 of 4
kalvinc

If I am paying the OC, does CCS have any legal right to update as paid?  Or are they legally required to delete.

Starting Score: Jan 2014: TU 620 | EQ 565 | EX 620

Current Score: Feb 2014: TU 609 EQ 596 EX 689
Goal Score: All 800+ December 2016

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 4
lmfields84
Regular Contributor

No CA is legally required to delete as long as the debt is accurate, because they are collecting on behalf of another creditor does not force them to remove their tradelines.

Our 2014 Rebuilding Log- Check Out Our Progress!
In Our Wallet: NFCU Cash Rewards $14k | NFCU LOC $15k | NFCU LOC $12k | NFCU Platinum Visa $8.5k | NFCU Platinum MC $1k Discover IT $1400 | Walmart Store Card $1.4k | Synchrony $1k | ToysRUs $500
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.