Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Critique my GW letters, please!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Critique my GW letters, please!

Hey all! I found these discussion boards last night and couldn't be more grateful and excited!  

I had a couple credit card slips (ok, 6 months of non-payment to BoA...I was attempting to rebel against their unfair practices...HA! and then just a 30 day late on a Chase card the following year) when I was young and silly and cannot believe that they are still haunting me! I am now a full-fledged grown-up with a great career and *reasonably* solid head on my shoulders and want to purchase my first home.  But my credit score is 696 :-/ I'm looking for 24 points and hoping these letters will help!

Please let me know what you think! I'm going to send them soon but would love some feedback first.

For BoA:

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am preparing to apply for a home loan and pulled my credit report.  I noted recent activity on a credit card account opened XX/XX/07 and closed X/13 (account number XXXXXXXXXXXX ).  No new charges are noted in the tradeline but the comment states high balance amount $9,916 from 2/2015 to 2/2015, when clearly the account was paid off, and subsequently closed nearly 2 years prior.  I am not sure what might come of this small oversight but am hoping to get it remedied before any harm is done.

While on the topic of this account, I also noted that late payments that occurred over the course of several months in 2009 may still be negatively affecting my credit score.  I had assumed that by this time, and with my diligence regarding proper payments thereafter, that these would have already "fallen off."  At the time, I was a young woman going through a very trying divorce and we can all remember the difficulties of 2009 (BAZINGA! lol obviously not included in letter).  I am not trying to excuse my actions, merely just showing those infractions are not an accurate representation of my payment history.  I was tremendously grateful that Bank of America was so willing to work with me on a payment plan to rebound from those missed payments.  My account will show that following that lapse every further payment was made on time and in full until the balance was $0.  So, in addition into looking into the curious recent activity on this closed account, I am also requesting a goodwill adjustment to your reporting to the three credit agencies regarding these late payments, please.

As I mentioned, I am currently in the market to purchase my first home and have yet to secure a lender.  I certainly would put Bank of America at the top of my list if we can work together to get these issues resolved.

Thank you in advance for your assistance,

And for Chase:

Dear Sir or Madam:

I was a customer of Chase for nine years, with a credit card account from XX/04 to XX/13 (Account number XXXXXXX).  I recently pulled my credit report in preparation for purchasing my first home.  I noted a delinquency (30 day late payment) in XX/2010.  I am sure it was a simple oversight but I am writing to see if you would be willing to make a goodwill adjustment to your reporting to the three credit agencies.  Clearly, I had a great relationship with your company, having had my account in good standing with prompt payments for the other 107 months of my credit card account’s duration.

As I previously mentioned, I am in the market for a mortgage lender and I would certainly put your company at the top of my list if we can work together to resolve this issue.

Thank you in advance for your assistance,

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Critique my GW letters, please!

FYI there is a Rebuilding subforum for topics like this.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Critique my GW letters, please!

Thank you! I couldn't remember where I was reading those GWLs before.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.