cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Critique my goodwill/request for deletion letter?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Critique my goodwill/request for deletion letter?!

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing to see if you would be willing to make a "goodwill" adjustment to your reporting to the three credit reporting agencies. The above referenced account was placed with you for collections by the University of Maryland in 2016. I paid the account in full on August 25, 2017. Because I have paid the account in full, I would like you to consider deleting the account from your records and stop reporting to the three credit reporting agencies. At the time that I applied to attend the University of Maryland, I was 17 years old. My parents agreed to pay all of my application fee’s for various colleges I chose to apply, I chose not to attend the University of Maryland. While I was away at college starting August 2016, my parents failed to remit payment to the University of Maryland, while also failing to let me know that numerous letters have came to their house in my name from the Central Collection Unit. It wasn’t until I returned home in July 2017, after completing a summer internship, that I found multiple letters from the University of Maryland and from the Central Collection Unit referring to this unpaid application fee. The debt was then paid in full and all mail has been directed to my new address.

As I have gotten older, I have become educated about credit reports and more aware of the need to honor my financial obligations, which is why I paid the account in full in August, 2017. I have also maintained excellent payment records with all of my creditors; I have never had a single late payment on any of my other accounts.

My fiancé and I are about to start the process of securing mortgage loans to start building our first home. This collection account on my credit report is having a negative impact on my FICO score, which may prevent me from being able to secure financing for a new home, or it may greatly increase the cost of doing so. I know this is probably a somewhat unusual request, and since this collection account is not a reflection of my current creditworthiness, I am requesting that you give me a second chance by deleting this account. Please let me know if you require any further information from me that would help in reaching a positive outcome. Thank you very much for the time you have taken to read my letter.

Sincerely,

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Critique my goodwill/request for deletion letter?!

This looks great to me.

I am grinding my teeth at the idea that a university would send something a 17 year old applied for to collections.  It's beyond ridiculous that this happened to you.  If goodwill doesn't happen, consider actually writing your state senator for help.  And some local media organizations.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I send this via mail or email? I don't have a supervisors name, just the name of the collection agency and the address. I just want to make sure it gets to the right person. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Send it every way to every person.

Use Google and LinkedIn to find the names of anyone in any department and email/mail/fax them with it.  Be relentless.

Contact your politicians (all of them) and contact them repeatedly until they intervene.  I would be hammering on every politician from dog catcher up to state senator over this.  It's a public state college and they are destroying your credit over an application fee?  I would hammer relentlessly on every government official who has any standing with the college -- plus any famous alumni, etc.  Shameful what a public university thinks they can pull.

Remember the folks who work for that university are bureaucrats so do not hold back on how much you beg, plead and annoy them.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Critique my gw letter/request for deletion letter?!

I like it very much...

Message 5 of 7
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Critique my gw letter/request for deletion letter?!

Hi @Anonymous, and welcome to myFICO!  welcome.gif

I have removed and/or merged all of your duplicate threads.  Please avoid cross-posting in the future; it's confusing to follow and is against our policies.

Also, if you have issues with posts not showing up please don't re-post repeatedly but check here:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/myFICO-Forums-Technical-Help/What-to-do-if-your-new-post-is-missing/td-p/4972480

--UncleB

myFICO Moderator

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The scenario admits to the obligation for the debt.

The consumer made, and the business processed, the application.

As a legitimate, unpaid debt, they are entitled to continue to seek its payment, including assistance froma debt collector.

I thus am at odds to understand why a third party, be they the press or politician, would have basis for asserting improper businsess action.

I would not stir the pot and destroy good-will by publicly asserting impropriety on their part.

I would stick to pursuing their good-will deletion, and not go nuclear.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.