Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cryptic AFNI PFD Response

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cryptic AFNI PFD Response

Hi, I had a AFNI collection on my report for unpaid Verizon DSL repairs from a few years back. It actaully wasn't really my bill but my roommate's who ordered a DSL repair worth $324 without my permission even though the DSL was in my name (they definitely dont have any documentation of me authorising those repairs). I tried to fight it with Verizon but that didn't really work and I eventually canceled my DSL service over this issue.

Anyways, the bill was originally $324 that ballooned up to $650 with all the late fees and fines. I sent AFNI a few pay-for-delete emails and a letter offering a PFD for $200. They refused to do it in their email response but about 6 weeks after my registered letter, I received a response in mail simply saying that they have asked all 3 credit bureaus to delete that item from my report, and now that item is gone from my all 3 reports. Their letter didnt mention anything about if they expected me to pay or if they deleted it since they realized they dont have any documentation to back it up.

So, any suggestions if I should send them the money anyway or wait to see if they contact me again asking for payment. I would rather pay the $200 than have the item show up back on my credit report, but I also don't want to just throw $200 at them for no reason.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Cryptic AFNI PFD Response

That most likely indicates that their collection authority has been terminated, either on their part, by the OC, or by sale of the debt to another.

I suggest you contact them before sending any payment, and determine if they still have authority to accept any payment.

If not, perhaps they can tell the current status or the debt.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.