Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DC parking tickets!!!

tag
jcwang
Established Member

DC parking tickets!!!

Hey all, I've got some issues I'm hoping someone can help me with...I have 3-4 unpaid parking tickets from Washington DC and low and behold, I noticed they were turned over to a collection agency and are now being negatively reported. What can I do about this? I've read that you can't DV for parking tickets, true? Also, I'm not sure if this matters or not, but I no longer own the car. I have not paid the tickets nor have I contacted the collection agency...what are everyone's thoughts on sending a PFD (pay for delete) letter? Should I try to settle for less? I would appreciate any input on this issue. Thanks! 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: DC parking tickets!!!

You can DV or PFD.  They are a debt collector.

You need to decide which path to take.  Assuming your DV is timely, it terminates their ability to negotiate anything with you until they provide the requested debt validation.

If you want to begin immediate PFD offers, it is totally up to the debt collector whether or not they will agree, and if so, for what amount.

How much is the debt?  If it is not much, it would probably be best to just offer the full amount.

When did the tickets become delinquent?

Message 2 of 9
paula629
Contributor

Welcome to DC!!! I am going through the same thing.....you have to PAY the tickets, and the collection agency will GLADLY remove them from your report!!! it is actually written in the DMV ticket policy, frequently asked questions, page 5!!! its done as a favor....Good Luck!!!

01/21/2021: EQ FICO 636 TU FICO 688 EX FICO 683 br>Goal:850
AMEX Delta Platinum $1k| Macys AMEX $1k| CARE CREDIT $6,600| NFCU AMEX $13.5k|NFCU Platinum $8k|DISCOVER $6k| NFCU LOC $13k| NORDSTROM $2200| Neiman Marcus $3k| PENFED CashRewards $10k| Value City Furniture $7,500k| LOWES $17k| Target $200|VW lease $13k| LFCU Pool loan $77k| NFCU auto $25k|BMW Auto $73k|Student loans $42k
*Entering garden May 2021*

Utilization: 47%
Message 3 of 9
jcwang
Established Member

Based on the information in my reports, there are 5 tradelines in which the debt totals $625 (excessive, especially for parking tickets, I know) though some of them may be duplicates. Four of them are reporting a "date opened" of January, 2011 and the fifth reports a "date opened" of June, 2011. Any suggestions and guidance based on this information is greatly appreciated. I guess it doesn't matter that I a) no longer own the vehicle and b) there's no definitive proof I was driving the vehicle (though it was registered in my name)? Thanks, everyone!
Message 4 of 9
GregB
Valued Contributor

The only relevant detail about ownership of the car is who owned it at the time the ticket was issued.

Who was driving a vehicle is always irrelevant unless you reported it as stolen.

Message 5 of 9
bridgetkaryn
Frequent Contributor

@paula629 wrote:

Welcome to DC!!! I am going through the same thing.....you have to PAY the tickets, and the collection agency will GLADLY remove them from your report!!! it is actually written in the DMV ticket policy, frequently asked questions, page 5!!! its done as a favor....Good Luck!!!

This... I paid it and they removed it within 7 days... I didn't even ASK... I would also like to add, (just allow me to vent here for a second) I 1. never received a ticket on my car. 2. They said my tags were expired (i live in VA) but they weren't... 3. I was on bedrest/hospital due to pre-term labor and couldn't repond to the mail notice until after I got it... $200 for a BS ticket... GRRRR... and we question why our government is so corrupt?!?!?!?

Starting Score: 06/2010- EQ 464
01/2012-EQ 512
April Score: EQ 679 4/12TU- 677 EX- 699 (FAKO)
Current Score: 05/2012-EQ 691 4/12TU- 706 EX- 720(FAKO)
Goal Score: 700 by 05/2012- MADE IT!!!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 9
hnycaraml
Established Member

This reply is a little late, but I wanted to make it easy for anyone else having this issue to find the correct information for DC parking tickets.  I am currently in the process of payng off old (deserved) tickets.  The page link below explains DC's collections process, and the poster was correct, they will remove the account from your credit report:

http://dmv.dc.gov/service/ticket-collections

Hope this helps!

Starting Score: TU 520 EQ 509 EX 481
Current Score: TU 577 EQ 571 EX 557
Goal Score: TU 748 EQ 730 EX 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

" height="50">
Message 7 of 9
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

@hnycaraml wrote:

This reply is a little late, but I wanted to make it easy for anyone else having this issue to find the correct information for DC parking tickets.  I am currently in the process of payng off old (deserved) tickets.  The page link below explains DC's collections process, and the poster was correct, they will remove the account from your credit report:

Hope this helps!

+1

I've been through this before. No choice but to pay the tickets in full if you want it off your credit report. And if payment is not received within 30(???) days from date of issue, it doubles. FYI...

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 8 of 9
down_n_out
Contributor

@Ravensfan2001 wrote:

@hnycaraml wrote:

Hope this helps!

+1

I've been through this before. No choice but to pay the tickets in full if you want it off your credit report. And if payment is not received within 30(???) days from date of issue, it doubles. FYI...

UGHH. That is sickening! Reminds me of the scam they have her in Texas called a Surcharge program your paying on the same ticket by force for a minimum of three years or license is suspended. Ticket fine plus 3 years in surcharges........

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.