Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU- anyone bank with them?

tag
spike69
Frequent Contributor

DCU- anyone bank with them?

I am looking to establish a relationship with a CU. I currently bank with Citizens- mostly due to convienence (longer hours). Anyone have any experience with DCU? Would like to know:

How long have you been with them?

What accounts do you hold with them?

Why is your experience with them good/bad?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AeroKrix
Frequent Contributor

Re: DCU- anyone bank with them?

@spike69 wrote:

I am looking to establish a relationship with a CU. I currently bank with Citizens- mostly due to convienence (longer hours). Anyone have any experience with DCU? Would like to know:

Thanks!

I just started a relationship with DCU earlier this month. So far so good. Applied for a Visa Plat, got instantly approved for $1k. They said my TU FICO was 642. Don't have much plans to use the checking, but maybe keep a small chunk of my savings with them, just in case I need a little "show money" if I ever need a loan in the future. I also bank with NFCU. Once I got NFCU and DCU, I closed my Wells and Chase accounts. So far DCU is great, although sometimes slow when it comes to sending things via mail. Apparently, they like to manually review everything, or maybe that's just in my case. They do a TU HP to open a savings and a Chexsystem for checking then another TU HP for the CC. 

Not sure what you're looking for in regards to your needs. Some specifics would be better as many more people can help you get answers youre maybe looking for. They are easy to work with via phone, if that's what's your asking. But be prepared to send verification info, such as ID and paystubs. I didn't have to, except a faxed DL, but others have said they requested it. If you got nothing to hide, then it shouldn't be a prob

Current 09/01/2021 EQ - 515 FAKO ; EX - 591 FICO ; TU - 598 FICO

Venmo CC $5.0K || Paypal Cashback CC $2.0K || Walmart CC $3.0K || CapOne QS1 $700 || CapOne QS $800 || Mission Lane $1.5K || Merrick $1.0K || AMEX Optima $500
Message 2 of 6
spike69
Frequent Contributor

I am looking to bank with them for now. No need to apply for credit at this time. I guess I did not know that a HP is needed when opening a new checking or savings account?

I have an old savings with another CU that has less than $500 in it. May reestablish connection there. I have only one inquiry in the past year plus and don't want to add to that while I am rebuilding.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 6
AeroKrix
Frequent Contributor

@spike69 wrote:

I am looking to bank with them for now. No need to apply for credit at this time. I guess I did not know that a HP is needed when opening a new checking or savings account?

I have an old savings with another CU that has less than $500 in it. May reestablish connection there. I have only one inquiry in the past year plus and don't want to add to that while I am rebuilding.

Thanks!

IMO, I would open up an account with DCU out of necessity. Like if you need to add a new CC or apply for a loan. DCU bases interest/APR on score, not length of relationship. How long you been a customer does not sway in that matter. A CSR informed me that they have a table for interest/APR, and UW's cant fight it and lower it based on relationship. So since you don't need any type of credit, I'd hold off on applying until you need them.

Current 09/01/2021 EQ - 515 FAKO ; EX - 591 FICO ; TU - 598 FICO

Venmo CC $5.0K || Paypal Cashback CC $2.0K || Walmart CC $3.0K || CapOne QS1 $700 || CapOne QS $800 || Mission Lane $1.5K || Merrick $1.0K || AMEX Optima $500
Message 4 of 6
Cracka
Valued Member

Starting Score: 639
Current Score: 648 EQ, 664 TU
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

@spike69 wrote:

Thanks!

Been a member for a couple of months and they have been good to me. Had no issues with applying for membership, also approved me for a CC and my first auto loan at their 1.24% rate.  You do get your paycheck 2 days early and they have good rates for savings (3% for the first $500) and CDs. Two things I have not managed to sort out is this: if they can tell if the whole paycheck (vs part of it -- let's say 75%) is being deposited and if having only part of your paycheck deposited (more than the loan amount) will qualify you to have relationship benefits, AND how you can tell that you have relationship benefits without asking their CSR.

Two things I did not like: I cannot figure out how to set up CC payments (for the DCU CC) in advance (and if someone knows how, please tell me!), and that ACH transfers to my other bank has a $5 fee. I have read that you can fill up a form to have the amount automatically debited every month, but I wanted to just be able to transfer occasionally and not on a regular basis. It seems to take too much effort to fill up a form and email it to them just to transfer funds to my other account without incurring a wire transfer fee.

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.