Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU credit card

tag
jbrown773
Contributor

DCU credit card

After readying about what cards to start building credit back up, most people suggested DCU secured cards. I applied for a DCU secured credit card about a week ago and was approved with a credit limit of 7900 after verifying income, does that mean that I have to have 7900 in their saving accounts for me to get the card or the most I can have is 7900? Does anyone know about these cards?

Starting Score: EQ FICO 582, TU 614, EX 528 9/13
Current Score: EQ FICO 648, TU 678, EX 663
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
themizlyne
Regular Contributor

Re: DCU credit card

If it's a secured card, your credit limit will end up being the amount you deposit. The minimum amount ($500 or $250 typically) to get the card should be specified in the approval letter.
Message 2 of 9
jbrown773
Contributor

Yah just figured that out, why do they set credit limits then? I was a bit confused because they asked for verication of income.. kinda weird they need that if your borrowing agaisnt what you have in their savings acc.

Message 3 of 9
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

Are you sure you were approved for a secured card? Or did they, maybe, counter you for a regular unsecured card? It seems a bit odd that they would give you an approval amount so specific, and large, on a secured card.

Message 4 of 9
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

From what I have seen, DCU tends to be a bit like NFCU. They can be fairly forgiving and generous.

Message 5 of 9
teamgray
Contributor

@jbrown773 wrote:

After readying about what cards to start building credit back up, most people suggested DCU secured cards. I applied for a DCU secured credit card about a week ago and was approved with a credit limit of 7900 after verifying income, does that mean that I have to have 7900 in their saving accounts for me to get the card or the most I can have is 7900? Does anyone know about these cards?

7900???   WOULD IT NOT BE BETTER TO GET TWO SECURED CARDS INSTEAD OF ONE, IF YOU HAVE THAT AMOUNT?

Starting Score: 612 EQ 6-1-2013
Current Score: 12-26-13 656 EQ(FICO) 608 TU(FAKO) 632(FICO) EX
Goal Score: 700 FICO on all three by 7/1

"The Struggle is real"

Message 6 of 9
jbrown773
Contributor

I got this in a email today

Good morning

Thank you for completing the membership application and Welcome to DCU!  In order to complete the Secured Visa application, the funds will need to be available in your DCU savings account and we will need to have a Secured Visa Agreement signed, we will be able to do this with an e-signature.   

Please contact the Consumer Loans department at weekdays 8am to 6pm and Saturday 9am to 3pm EST and a representative will be able to go over the remaining details of the credit card application.

Thank you for being a member of DCU!

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

I did find it odd they gave me a specific amount like 7900 but I'm not sure what that amount even means because i've read it will match up to 100k in your savings. 

Message 7 of 9
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

Yeah, it seems confusing. I would call them and have them clarify it for you.]\\\\

Message 8 of 9
jbrown773
Contributor

Yah just following up, I called and they told me that the 7900 CL was the amount they wanted me to put on hold in their saving acc. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.