Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DEBT MANAGEMENT

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DEBT MANAGEMENT

I need advice how to handle my credit card accounts. My total balance of all CC is only $8300.

the problem is I have been unemployed since May 2015. I am 61 yr old  single female. I have a lot of skills but cant get hired anywhere.

• I have 1999 paid off car only worth abt -2k . There is no public transportation so a car is needed.

• Car Insurance $93 mo           (I have even thought about riding on  the wild side & cancel it till get job) save $93 but illegal)
  • Cell                    $68  mo           (The most I might cut it down would  save me $33mo. MAYBE
  • C.Cards min   $300 mo           (No late payments BUT All are maxed out,)
  • Gasoline           $30 mo            (Or more )                                                             

TOTAL      $491.mo

• Currently I only have $281 in cash left.  My income tax refund for a big  $313 won't be here til 1st of March. NO other money coming in.

I need advice what to do NOW please!

1. Feb bills coming due,
  2. Do I default on all CC and ruin my credit forever - that affects my job seeking, most places checking credit  now, affects any future apt rentals, car loans, even hurts my plan to apply for  a grant & go back to school for  2 yrs technical degree
  3. Do I sell car to pay bills for 3 mos but how do I get a job?

Any advice is greatly appreciated..

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DEBT MANAGEMENT

What state do you live in?

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would try anything possible to not default on the credit cards even if you have to see if they'll work with you somehow. I know it's easier said than done but you really need employment asap. I'd sign up for LinkedIn and check Craigslist for your area for job listings. I hate how job hunting is mostly online now but it's just one of those things. Maybe even a temporary job in retail would do until you could find something better? I'm sorry your in this position and hope something comes your way.
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you ..I am on linkedin, Indeed and about  a lot of others.  It sucks no one wants to hire the "old people"  I have tryed retail. employment agencies, airlines, call centers,. I have done 500 + resumes &  I got only 3 interviews and only 1 from employment agency with no luck. I get email rejections so fast it  like they have fire on it butt LOL

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Texas -Ft Worth area

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Texas Ft Worth area

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know what happened to my post from before. I mentioned in my post that even though cell phones are needed now a days, did you consider searching for better prices for your cell phone plan? You can do better on price by switching carriers or going to prepaid. I know Verizon prepaid is $50 per month for 5 gb, and T-mobile is $40 a month. You could be saving half of what you are paying if you switched to the smaller providers like cricket. From what I saw, prepaid data plans go from 2.5 gb to 5 gb. If your data usage is higher, you can always supplement your usage with free wifi at many places and internet at home.

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

First thing is to call all of your credit card companies and explain your situation. The majority of lenders will either dramatically reduce interest rates or minimum payments when people are in similar binds. However, just know that as part of the agreement, you may lose the ability to put new spending on the cards (shouldn't be a change since they are maxed already), and they may require you to close them after the current balance is fully paid off. From a credit and a money-saving perspective, this is significantly better than missing payments and having accounts closed by the lenders with a balance. 

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm really sorry about your situation. The only suggestion I can add is try fast food or larger retailers such as Home Depot and Walmart for cashiers. I wish you the best! 

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have T mobile and for my  Note 3, I have already cut down to bare minimumn no extras and being a tmobil phone it  prevents me to use the a  lot of   phone services or  they chrg me exra like metro pcs -which is t-mobile-go figure or I have to buy their phone like verizon!. I got a old fashion landline for that temp job I had -AT &T is only one here who even offered it and it cost me $48.00 a month with No caller id & No voicemail!!  I disconnected it when job was over. 

I will call tmobile about prepaid costs 

.I appreciate your reply!

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.