Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DFAS: Paid, Closed $XXXX Written Off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DFAS: Paid, Closed $XXXX Written Off

Hello! I decided to check my credit reports due to the Experian breach and just because I was curious, and I saw that under the DFAS Debt I have, it says the status is Paid, Closed $XXXX written off and at the bottom, it says "As of June 2016: Charge Off. What exactly does that mean? I've been googling and it says that they've given up on me making payments and that it's possibel they can sue me for not paying the balance. I've thought, this whole time, that the money was coming out of my tax returns since I didn't receive one after I couldn't make any more payments. I didn't receive part of a tax return until last year and I opened the loan in June 2013. Please help as I don't want to get sued or anything. I finally have a good paying job and am working on getting everything in order so I can pay off my debts. Thank you for your time and I look forward to responses Smiley Very Happy Have a wonderful day!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DFAS: Paid, Closed $XXXX Written Off

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello! I decided to check my credit reports due to the Experian breach and just because I was curious, and I saw that under the DFAS Debt I have, it says the status is Paid, Closed $XXXX written off and at the bottom, it says "As of June 2016: Charge Off. What exactly does that mean? I've been googling and it says that they've given up on me making payments and that it's possibel they can sue me for not paying the balance. I've thought, this whole time, that the money was coming out of my tax returns since I didn't receive one after I couldn't make any more payments. I didn't receive part of a tax return until last year and I opened the loan in June 2013. Please help as I don't want to get sued or anything. I finally have a good paying job and am working on getting everything in order so I can pay off my debts. Thank you for your time and I look forward to responses Smiley Very Happy Have a wonderful day!!

Contact them and make a settlement/payment arrangment.

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If it is reporting as Paid and Closed, then it is not showing a debt owed to them.

If, prior to paying a delinquent debt, the creditor charges the debt to profit and loss, the fact that they took a prior charge-off at some point during the account pendency is not negated/removed based on subsequent payment of the debt.

The charge-off remains as part of your payment history, and will remain until excluded no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the date of first delinquency (DOFD).

You will not get sued if the debt is paid.

Message 3 of 6
pinoy
Established Member

pay it then ask for deletion they were very easy to deal with since its government agency I had one charge off after i paid it I requested the account to be deleted and gone very quick

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello everyone! Thank you guys so much for your advice! I contacted customer service and it's paid in full! It'll get off my record in 30-60 days, she said, and she emailed me the letter saying it is paid. Just as one of you had said! Y'all have a great weekend!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.