Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISCHARGED FROM CHAPTER 7! NEED HELP!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DISCHARGED FROM CHAPTER 7! NEED HELP!

Hello all,

There's a ton of knowledge here so I'm seeking help. Just discharged from Chapter 7 with case closed yesterday. I've read 700 in 24 months and have spent countless hours  reading topics. I'm having issues with obtaining credit. I burnt Capital One in bankruptcy with two cards, Quick Silver for $500 and Secured Card for $700. Apparently Capital One shows account as restricted when I try to log in, which leads me to believe this is how I'm blacklisted and not pre qualifying for any others. I also burnt Merrick bank for $500. Never had CreditOne but I do not prequalify. I opened an Open Sky but I'm sure I will need at least 1 or 2 more cards. Any suggestions on how to obtain credit??? 

FYI: I've already cleaned up CRs so everything is reporting correctly.

Credit Scores - EXP 545 EQ 539

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gnp57
Established Member

Re: DISCHARGED FROM CHAPTER 7! NEED HELP!

Have you pulled your credit reports to see what's on them  and make sure they are reporting correctly ? I am following soulmaster's plan to get to 700 in 2 years. One week post ch 7, I was approved for a Cap 1 QS. If I had waited until my reports were updated, I probably would have a higher limit.

Here's the link to his thread:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-...

Ch 7 Discharge 10/5/15

Starting: EX 493; TU 505; EQ 528

3/2/16: EX 579; TU 570; EQ 585

Goal: mid 700s

Cap1 QS $300; Cap 1 Plat $500
Message 2 of 4
MarylynMonroe
Valued Member

Captial One is pretty forgiving. I burned them with a card that they took over and was able to be approved about a month after BK for both a Quick Silver 1 and a Platinum. My best advice is to wait a while. Recon and if still not approved.... wait. I would also recommend getting another line of credit. Try getting a credit bulder loan from your local credit union and try getting a fingerhut fresh start account. Try other BK friendly cards that you didn't burn.

BK Discharge: 8/2015

Starting Score: EX 526 EQ 495 TU 444
Current Score: EX 601 EQ 578 TU 600
Goal Score: All 750 and above

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
Pway
Valued Contributor

I understand where you are coming from.  Last year around this time I was discharged as well and I could no get credit no where.  I even tried Capital One, however, I burned them as well and they kep denying me without pulling my credit.  I gave it some time.  I opened a secured card with my cu, opened a checking and savings the same day. I then obtained a fingerhut account Express card and a stupid verve card.  However, after that time around January of 2015 doors opened for me.  I obtained 3 Capital One cards in my siggy along with everything else.  Give it some time, you will rebound. 

I wish you the best.  Remember don't give up.  This credit game is not a race, it takes time, hard work and dedication.  I am not where I want to be credit wise but I know that I will get there sooner than later. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.