cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISPUTED COLLECTION ACCOUNT CAME BACK VERIFIED....WHAT NEXT?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DISPUTED COLLECTION ACCOUNT CAME BACK VERIFIED....WHAT NEXT?

I have a collection account with RJM in the amount of $58 for Columbia House DVD Club.  I have NO idea when this is from as it says the date of collection was 6/2008. I know this account is not mine.  I do not see how the CRA verified this to be accurate. (Then again, I am not surprised)

I know the amount is little, but I am just irritated that it is on my CR to begin with. Should I just do a PFD to the collection agency?

Or should I send a follow-up letter regarding the dispute to the CRA and ask them to provide me with the name of the person that verified this and then send the DV to the CA?  I have a feeling this is an OLD debt, because I remember a time about 6 yrs ago I began getting dvd's in the mail and returned them because I never ordered them to begin with.  So maybe this is a collection I wasn't even aware of and this was purchased by RJM.

HELP!!! Any advice would be great!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DISPUTED COLLECTION ACCOUNT CAME BACK VERIFIED....WHAT NEXT?

I disputed an account that came back verified as well. I was the victim of ID theft, and the CRA's "Verified" the account. I had to get the police involved to have it removed.

If you are 100 percent sure it is not yours file a police report. Then send it to the CRA's.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a collection account with RJM in the amount of $58 for Columbia House DVD Club.  I have NO idea when this is from as it says the date of collection was 6/2008. I know this account is not mine.  I do not see how the CRA verified this to be accurate. (Then again, I am not surprised)

I know the amount is little, but I am just irritated that it is on my CR to begin with. Should I just do a PFD to the collection agency?

Or should I send a follow-up letter regarding the dispute to the CRA and ask them to provide me with the name of the person that verified this and then send the DV to the CA?  I have a feeling this is an OLD debt, because I remember a time about 6 yrs ago I began getting dvd's in the mail and returned them because I never ordered them to begin with.  So maybe this is a collection I wasn't even aware of and this was purchased by RJM.

HELP!!! Any advice would be great!

why PFD something not yours? it just encourages illegal practices.

first step is DV letter CMRRR to RJM - use one from this site and specify in one of the opening sentences where it says "this account is disputed" adding "as not mine".

you don't need other changes. if they come back as verified or validated by the CA, then you can send them a letter that the account is not your and any further collection activity is a violation of FDCPA and they are considered in willful violation. At that point you can start off the complaints to BBB, AGs and FTC. Shoulld they continue reporting, next comes an ITS letter.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay great!  I will do that today.  All of this gets so confusing. Thanks so much for your help!!!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.