Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISPUTING OLD CHILD SUPPORT

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DISPUTING OLD CHILD SUPPORT

Ive researched a lot and still cant find the right answer or suggestion.  I have an old CS Account that was closed in 2007.  The State who reported it, has said they havent reported on this since 2007.  Ive disputed the report with all 3 agencies,  they all say it stays by law for 7 years. Yah I get that, but I told them do the math, its currently 2016, unless my math is off 7 plus 7 is 2014.   This should be off, but i can find   a resource to help me do that.  Any suggestions, has anyone else run into this.??

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DISPUTING OLD CHILD SUPPORT

I thought child support doesn't go away unless paid or settled if the child is over 18.
Message 2 of 12
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I thought child support doesn't go away unless paid or settled if the child is over 18.

^ This was my experience.  Disputed the account 1 week after it was PIF.  Removed soon after.

ETA:  It was well under 7 years since the 2 lates that made it appear on my reports.

Message 3 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It is 7 years from the date the payments were overdue.

FCRA 611(a)(5) mandates general exclusion at 7 years for any adverse item not specifically listed in subsections 611(a)(1)-(4), and FCRA 622 specifically repeats that requirment for child support derogs.

Since you have already disputed, I would now file a formal complaint with the CFPB for the lack of CRA compliance with FCRA 611(a)(5) and 622, or bring your own civil action on that basis.

622.  Information on overdue child support obligations

Notwithstanding any other provision of this title, a consumer reporting agency shall include in any consumer report furnished by the agency in accordance with section 604 [§ 1681b] of this title, any information on the failure of the consumer to pay overdue support which

(1)      is provided

(A)        to the consumer reporting agency by a State or local child sup-port enforcement agency; or

(B)        to the consumer reporting agency and verified by any local, State, or Federal government agency; and

(2)      antedates the report by 7 years or less. "

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a similar issue but I had arrears. Account was closed in 2006 but I finished paying in 2/11. Therefore even though account closed in 06 my last payment was in 2011. I still disputed and was successful on deletion on 2CB currently disputing now on EQ and that also looks like it just got deleted. Good luck that account has been my biggest nightmare.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ive researched a lot and still cant find the right answer or suggestion.  I have an old CS Account that was closed in 2007.  The State who reported it, has said they havent reported on this since 2007.  Ive disputed the report with all 3 agencies,  they all say it stays by law for 7 years. Yah I get that, but I told them do the math, its currently 2016, unless my math is off 7 plus 7 is 2014.   This should be off, but i can find   a resource to help me do that.  Any suggestions, has anyone else run into this.??

Did you pay it off?

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

to answer all of your questions.  YES, it was paid off 2/07.  and yes it was arrears.   just trying to find leagl help, has been a tough road, but this is really keeping my score dpown. even with 3 CC.   im still in the 640 range on all 3 reports. its crazy.  

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is it that it's not coming back from the CS is account status still open?
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you disputed something must not be letting the CBA not delete it. Only thing I can think of is account status must say closed for it to have a fall off date. If you know it's closed in 07 maybe you can dispute it with documents from court stating account closed in 07
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

But also important document of when last payment was made on that account when you made your last payment to make it $0 balance and officially closed it at that moment
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.