cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIY Credit Repair/ removal of legitimate accounts.

tag
BogoMIPS

DIY Credit Repair/ removal of legitimate accounts.

I have read through the forums and found some great info.  Tried some of it and failed on my own.

Hoping to get some guidance to my specific situation.

My current FICO scores are TR 663, EQ 653, EX 658.

What is hurting my Credit score the most is a "settled" IRS tax lien.

It was "settled" last year, and is now starting over on the time it stays on my CR.

I have written a letter to all CB's and it isn't removed.

***UPDATE***

Have found a thread that was posted after my initial attempt to remove, and

filled out the IRS forms and will send them out monday.

Also, a "charge off" of an auto loan that was PIF, but the last month it was out for repo, hence the

"charge off".  Another failed attempt at removing the bad info on my CR.

And, lastly some missed payments on a previous mortgage.

I have been current on my mortgage for over 2 1/2 years and pay my Credit cards on time.

The info is accurate.

Now for my questions:

1. Should I pay off all my credit cards at once, or pay them down over time?

2. I want to drop a credit card with a high AF, and can just add the $700 CL to my secured BoA secured card

or open a new secured card with a $700 limit.

3. My mortgage broker recommended a credit repair company but I am hesitant about using one, I could

keep on paying my debt down, and let attrition handle the bad marks on my CR.

4. I may have failed in removing the tax lien and charge off, but will the credit repair agency make it happen?

Thank You for your time, If you need any more specific info don't hesitate to ask.

BogoMIPS

Starting Score: 3/17/12 648
Current Score: 6/22/12 680
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

Re: DIY Credit Repair/ removal of legitimate accounts.

Send those forms out for the IRS.

Get your CC util to under 9%.

GW the heck out of that PIF CO for the auto.

And ditto with the GW for the mortgage company on those lates. Make note to them of your ontime payments over the last 2 1/2 years and how you have "nothing but love" for them, etc, etc lol

And, IMO, you don't need a credit repair service. Look what you just did on your own through searching for the IRS stuff. Ask questions and write GWs and pay down util %. You can do that on your own and for free. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Message 2 of 8
Booner72
Senior Contributor

I'd also add to not cancel the high AF credit card.  You will then lower your utilization.  Just use it every 6 months to keep it open, then PIF right away.

Keep trying with the GW letters - it has taken me over 10 months, and I thought I'd NEVER get rid of certain collections, but they're almost all gone now.  I just got an exciting letter from TU today w/ 4 deletions!!

I'm still working hard on my EQ.  My EX is clean. and I started with 20 medical collection last May!  20 - 2.  This can be done, but patience and persistence and creative tactics are required.  You can do it!

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 8
BogoMIPS

@Lois5669 wrote:

And ditto with the GW for the mortgage company on those lates. Make note to them of your ontime payments over the last 2 1/2 years and how you have "nothing but love" for them, etc, etc lol

And, IMO, you don't need a credit repair service. Look what you just did on your own through searching for the IRS stuff. Ask questions and write GWs and pay down util %. You can do that on your own and for free. Smiley Happy

Lois, I appreciate your response.

I'll send out the forms to the IRS first thing Monday morning.

I will pay off all the balances on my CC's.

Going to write a GW letter to the auto company this afternoon.

As far as the mortgage company, it is a previous company and I don't have them anymore.

Not sure if a GW letter to them will yield any positive result? And what to say to them? Or,

what can be accomplished by writing them?

I will definately work on this on my own, for now.

Thank you again,

BogoMIPS

Message 4 of 8
Lois5669
Frequent Contributor

@BogoMIPS wrote:

@Lois5669 wrote:

Lois, I appreciate your response.

I'll send out the forms to the IRS first thing Monday morning.

I will pay off all the balances on my CC's.

Going to write a GW letter to the auto company this afternoon.

As far as the mortgage company, it is a previous company and I don't have them anymore.

Not sure if a GW letter to them will yield any positive result? And what to say to them? Or,

what can be accomplished by writing them?

I will definately work on this on my own, for now.

Thank you again,

BogoMIPS

Oops, sorry..I misread that part - missed the "previous". Even though you missed some payments with them, is the account paid off and in good standing now? If so, then definitely GW them. You know what won't yield positive results? NOT sending them a GW. I mean, it only takes a stamp and is worth a shot (or 2 or 3 or...).

All they can do is say no.  Keep trying...all you need is for one time one day for them to say yes. Smiley Wink

Starting Score: EQ = 550; TU = 491(2/10/12)
Current Score: EQ = 669; TU = 674(6/20/14)
Goal Score: 700+

Message 5 of 8
BogoMIPS

@Booner72 wrote:

I'd also add to not cancel the high AF credit card.  You will then lower your utilization.  Just use it every 6 months to keep it open, then PIF right away.

<snip>

Booner, Thank you for responding.

This is a point that I am in a dilema over.

I was going to add the $700 limit that this card offers to my BoA secured card.

When the AF hits me in October, it is just around 20% of my CL.  I don't doubt

that accepting this card was a mistake on my part.  And morally I would like to

drop them like a bad habit.

Thank you for your time

BogoMIPS

Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Both the FCRA and the new regulations regarding direct disputes specifically bar a credit repair organization from even assisting a consumer in the preparation of a direct dispute, such as by simply providing the consumer with forms for their own use.

That, at least to me, speaks volumes on how both congress and the regulatory agencies view credit repair organizations.

They clearly cannnot assist you in the preparation or filing of any direct dispute, should that become a part of your credit repair activities.

Message 7 of 8
BogoMIPS

@RobertEG wrote:

Both the FCRA and the new regulations regarding direct disputes specifically bar a credit repair organization from even assisting a consumer in the preparation of a direct dispute, such as by simply providing the consumer with forms for their own use.

That, at least to me, speaks volumes on how both congress and the regulatory agencies view credit repair organizations.

They clearly cannnot assist you in the preparation or filing of any direct dispute, should that become a part of your credit repair activities.

I'm going to try and fix the issues on my CR myself.  It's not so much disputes of inaccuracy's just pleads for removal of information that is accurate, but holding my score down.  Except from what I have read in regards to removing a settled IRS tax lien, which will benefit myself as well as the United States of America, if it is completely removed from my CR.

BogoMIPS

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.