Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOFD change - What are my options

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DOFD change - What are my options

Hey all,

I was going through my reports today and pulled up the Equifax dispute options to see if any baddies had come off early.  I'm scrolling though and noticed one creditor DOFD's are different, they used to be 06/2008 and on today's report they're listing DOFD as 03/2009.  I've had issues with this agency before, the DOFDs are different on every credit report, they list 5 tradelines on Equifax and 4 on Experian and Transunion when there's only actually 4 tradelines.  I send them a GW request some time last month and they came back with the they're obligated by law blah blah response...

I have a PDF copy of my Equifax report from Jan where it lists 06/2008 for 4x of the tradelines and 03/2009 for the mysterious 5th tradeline.

What options do I have?  I'm pretty furious over this right now...

Oz

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: DOFD change - What are my options

Are you referring to one creditor reporting mulitple, different accounts, or one creditor reporting different DOFDs on the same account?

There is nothing per se improper if a creditor changes their reported DOFD if they have determined that their prior reporting was inaccurate, and they are updating to correct that reporting.

You can dispute the accuracy of a reported DOFD, but you need some basis to assert what the correct date should be.

The simple fact that the creditor has changed the reported DOFD does not establish inaccuracy.

Do you have old billing statements that show when you first became delinquent on the account?

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Are you referring to one creditor reporting mulitple, different accounts, or one creditor reporting different DOFDs on the same account?

There is nothing per se improper if a creditor changes their reported DOFD if they have determined that their prior reporting was inaccurate, and they are updating to correct that reporting.

You can dispute the accuracy of a reported DOFD, but you need some basis to assert what the correct date should be.

The simple fact that the creditor has changed the reported DOFD does not establish inaccuracy.

Do you have old billing statements that show when you first became delinquent on the account?

It's one creditor, with multiple tradelines.  To be more specific they're student loans and the creditor is the US Department of Education.  I posted here because I feel this is more of a DOFD reporting issue than a question specifcally about student loans.  These student loans entered repayment in after I graduated in 05/2008.  I never made any payments on these loans and they defaulted by 03/2009.  That's why I'm upset over this change because I know for a fact the DOFD cannot be 03/2009 since the NSLDS (National Student Loan Data Systems) report them as entering repayment on 05/2008 and defaulting by 03/2009.

I consolidated these loans (along with others) in Dec 2012 and they were discharged because of my Total and Permanent Disability rating from the VA.

Oz

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the accounts pertain to U.S. government insured or guaranteed student loans, then it is a different ball game.

The normal credit report exclusion provisions of FCRA 605(a) do not apply.  Credit report exclusion is separately controlled under provisions of the HIgher Education Act, which permits extension of credit report inclusion while the debts remain unpaid.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

If the accounts pertain to U.S. government insured or guaranteed student loans, then it is a different ball game.

The normal credit report exclusion provisions of FCRA 605(a) do not apply.  Credit report exclusion is separately controlled under provisions of the HIgher Education Act, which permits extension of credit report inclusion while the debts remain unpaid.

The debt was brought out of default and paid through direct consolidation in Dec 2012.  The consolidated loans were discharged under the Total and Permanent Disability Discharge Process within the last couple of months.

Oz

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent this company an email regarding the incorrect information being reported BEFORE I found out about the DOFD change.  Here is my email to them:

Hello,

I recently sent an email requesting a goodwill deletion of the US Department of Education accounts from my Credit Reports.  It was brought to my attention that student loan information must be reported for the full seven years from date of first delinquency which leads me to this email.

There should be four US Dept of Education tradelines on my credit reports according to the information I obtained from the National Student Loan Data Systems.  For some reason a 5th account is listed on my Equifax report, it shows 3 loans were opened in 08/2002 when only 2 loans were opened in 08/2002.  Please delete the extra tradeline that is being reported to my  Equifax credit report.

Also all of the tradelines are incorrectly reporting a Date of First Delinquency in March 2009.  This is absolutely incorrect, March 2009 is when these loans defaulted, the date of first delinquency should be reported as June 2008.  I have attempted to dispute this information with all three of the credit bureaus but the information comes back as verified which means the errors are on how these accounts are being reported.  Please correct these errors I have listed above.

Thank you in advance for your time,

Ozix

They replied back this morning:

Thank you for your recent email inquiry.

If a credit bureau is not correctly listing the information provided by the Department, you must dispute the information directly with the credit bureau. The credit bureau will send the Department a record of what it is currently listing. The Department can then advise the bureau of any corrections that are needed.

If you have any further questions, please call us at 1-800-621-3115.

Sincerely,

Default Resolution Group Servicing Center

Anyone want to help me construct an email response back or do I need to go full nuclear at this point and send a direct dispute via CMRRR?  I've already disputed with the bureaus and I'm guessing that's when they updated Experian DOFD's to 03/09 from 06/08.  On my Experian the DOFD is 03/09 and on Transunion 3 tradelines are set to expire on 02/16 and one is set to expire on 01/16.  This is a cluster$^#&...

Thanks,

Oz

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.