Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOFD is wrong on HELOC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DOFD is wrong on HELOC

Hello everyone, I paid off my Citi HELOC in full a few months ago.I paid it late a few times in 2012 & 2013. I noticed on Equifax that it's missing my DOFD. It states "NA". Is this something I can dispute to get this tradeline removed? Citi also pulled my credit report without my permission two times in 2015. I filed a claim with CFPB and they are in the process of removing these inquiries. Any insight would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: DOFD is wrong on HELOC

A DOFD is only reported if a charge-off or collection is reported.  It is not reported and is irrelevant unless there is a CO or collection.

Late payments are excluded no later than 7 years from their mo/yr of occurence.  They are not excluded based on a DOFD.

The definition of a DOFD is the date of first delinquency, after which the account/collection remained delinquent up to the point of occurence of the respective charge-off or collection.  No CO or collection, no DOFD.

As for inquiries, if you have an account with a creditor, then they have permissible purpose to pull your credit report at any time.  Express authorization of the consumer is not required.  If they pulled your report as part of their own internal account review (AR), then it should have been coded as a soft pull.

What was the type/purpose of their inquiry, and how was it coded?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was once a collection/charge off account. I made the account current, but on a mortgage pull it looks like a charge off. The inquiries were hard pulls made without my consent. I was wondering if I have something to barter with Citi so they can delete this tradeline. 

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the creditor ever reported a CO, they were required under FCRA 623(a)(5) to report the DOFD to the CRA no later than 90 days after reporting of the charge-off.

Thus, a DOFD is required to be of record in your credit file.

The fact that your commercial credit report does not show a DOFD is not conclusive that it was never reported to the CRA.

Commercial credit reports commonly dont provide the reported DOFD.

I would suggest that you pull a copy of your credit report from annualcreditreport.com.  They will normally show any reported DOFD.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.