Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOFD on medical debt with several dates of service, and other questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DOFD on medical debt with several dates of service, and other questions

I ended up filing a complaint. TU has the DOFD as June 2010 (when the CA received the account) and the CA is refusing to give me additional information. 

The whole thing ticks me off. I never once refused to pay. In fact, I offered to pay once I had certain pieces of information in writing - really, just a balance sheet. 

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sending you a pm!

Message 12 of 14
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Under FCRA 623(a)(5), the debt collector is required to contact the OC and attempt to obtain the DOFD.

If they make a reasonablle attempt to obtain the DOFD from the OC, but are unsuccessful, they are still required to report a DOFD, and may then make their best estimate, but cannot report a date later than the date they received their collection authoriyt.

The debt collector is thus not necessarily incorrect in reporting of a DOFD that is the date they received their collection authoirity if they dont know and cant get the actual DOFD from the OC.

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Under FCRA 623(a)(5), the debt collector is required to contact the OC and attempt to obtain the DOFD.

If they make a reasonablle attempt to obtain the DOFD from the OC, but are unsuccessful, they are still required to report a DOFD, and may then make their best estimate, but cannot report a date later than the date they received their collection authoriyt.

The debt collector is thus not necessarily incorrect in reporting of a DOFD that is the date they received their collection authoirity if they dont know and cant get the actual DOFD from the OC.

Right. The issue at hand is they know the dates of service. They're contending the DOFD isn't related to the dates of service or even when I was billed, but the date they received it and/or the date the last payment was received. 

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.