Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOFD question?

tag
Tuxtepec3441

DOFD question?

New to this, so bear with me

I found in my husbands credit report a collection that is reporting a DOFD June 2013( Listed as date opened  on Experian report from Annual credit report, is that the same? when actually it was 03/2011.  Been researching different threads and I have a few questions ( Different DOFD with an answer from Guiness56) and came up with a template letter as follows: 

“This is a Notice of Direct Dispute with you, under the provisions of FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), of the accuracy of information you have reported to my credit file.

►       (If sent to a debt collector, (CA), it might  be beneficial to also include the blurb:

►  “This is a direct dispute of credit reporting. This is not a request for debt
              validation/verification  under FDCPA §809(b).”.
                  (don’t let them just simply sluff it off as a meaningless  DV letter)

“In compliance with FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), and enacting regulations published at  16 CFR § 660.4, this Notice of Direct dispute includes:

“Identification of the specific information being disputed:
           (specify the account number, and the specific information that is disputed under  that identifying account)

“Basis for the dispute:

(how the reporting was inaccurate;    was any reporting in violation of any statutory or  regulatory provisions?  account or express agreements?  CRA reporting gudelines? Account not  yours? etc.)

“Supporting documentation:

(all documents that support your dispute; it is recommened to also include,  as part of your documentation, at least a copy of the portion only of your  recent credit report showing their reporting of the disputed information was  actually reported to your credit flle.  The implementing rule suggests a  showing  that it appeared in your credit report)

Now what do I do first write a DV letter to see what they have and why they are reporting DOFD, or do I write something like this first? Any help is much appreciated!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: DOFD question?

@Tuxtepec3441 wrote:

I found in my husbands credit report a collection that is reporting a DOFD June 2013( Listed as date opened  on Experian report from Annual credit report, is that the same? when actually it was 03/2011.  Been researching different threads and I have a few questions ( Different DOFD with an answer from Guiness56) and came up with a template letter as follows: 

“This is a Notice of Direct Dispute with you, under the provisions of FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), of the accuracy of information you have reported to my credit file.

►       (If sent to a debt collector, (CA), it might  be beneficial to also include the blurb:

►  “This is a direct dispute of credit reporting. This is not a request for debt

“In compliance with FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), and enacting regulations published at  16 CFR § 660.4, this Notice of Direct dispute includes:

(specify the account number, and the specific information that is disputed under  that identifying account)

“Basis for the dispute:

(how the reporting was inaccurate;    was any reporting in violation of any statutory or  regulatory provisions?  account or express agreements?  CRA reporting gudelines? Account not  yours? etc.)

(all documents that support your dispute; it is recommened to also include,  as part of your documentation, at least a copy of the portion only of your  recent credit report showing their reporting of the disputed information was  actually reported to your credit flle.  The implementing rule suggests a  showing  that it appeared in your credit report)

Now what do I do first write a DV letter to see what they have and why they are reporting DOFD, or do I write something like this first? Any help is much appreciated!

Opened on a collection account is when that company opened or aquired the account, it isn't the DOFD on colleciton accounts;

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 19
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

You are looking at DOFD, right? (As opposed to "Date of First Major Delinquency" or "Date of Last Activity")

ETA...nmd...I see Scott's catch.

Message 3 of 19
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Tuxtepec3441 wrote:

“Basis for the dispute:

Looking at one of my older Experian credit reports, the DOFD is not listed on there..

You need to A. figure it out yourself by doing the math on when it will fall off your report (which IS listed) or B. write to the CRA to request the DOFD.

-scott

Message 4 of 19
Tuxtepec3441

I really need to get this off hubby's CR, We are trying for a USDA loan soon and they state no collections over two years, so does this mean from the Date of service or what i think is the dofd ( this happened in 2011) or the reporting date of the collection (June 2013)

Message 5 of 19
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Tuxtepec3441 wrote:

I really need to get this off hubby's CR, We are trying for a USDA loan soon and they state no collections over two years, so does this mean from the Date of service or what i think is the dofd ( this happened in 2011) or the reporting date of the collection (June 2013)

Date of report.

i had to do the same thing with LVNV -- They put an old account, from 2007, on my credit report but it was 'opened' with them in Feb 2012 -- Derailed my mortgage until I could get it removed...

-scott

Message 6 of 19
Tuxtepec3441

Did you do a pfd letter or what? Im not sure on how to handle going about getting it off. 

Message 7 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Tuxtepec3441 wrote:

The DoFD is when you first became delinquent and never brought the account current before it was CO's or sent to collections. 

The date the collection was reported has no bearing on when it will be removed.

Is there a removal date or a DoFD listed?

Message 8 of 19
Tuxtepec3441

I also saw something that came to mind about getting medical collections off besides a

PFD, something about HIPPA? What do you think?

Message 9 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

HIPAA is for paid collections to the OC. 

You can try but there is no violation of the HIPAA laws from a medical collections reporting.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.