cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DOFD question?

tag
Tuxtepec3441

Re: DOFD question?

removal date of 2017, I don't want to wait that long to get out of the Hood!

Message 11 of 19
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A debt colllector is required under FCRA 623(a)(5) to report the DOFD on the OC account to the CRA within 90 days after reporting of their collection.

Since the DOFD occurs under the account with the OC, and a debt collector usually has no way of independently knowing when the actual DOFD occured, section 623(a)(5) listis procedures that they must follow in order to obtain that DOFD.  In brief summary:

1.  If the OC has previously reported the DOFD, which would have been required had they reported a prior CO, that stands as the creditor's statement of DOFD, and the debt collector must report that same date.

2.  If the OC has not reported their DOFD to the CRA, the debt collector is required to take reasonable procedures to contact the OC, and attempt to obtain the DOFD from them.  If the OC provides them a stated DOFD, they are in compliance if they report that date.

3.  The catch-all provision applies when the debt collector has taken reasonable procedures to attempt to obtain the DOFD from the OC, but was unable to do so.

Since the are required to report the DOFD within 90 days after reporting of their collection, they are permitted to then make their best estimate of the DOFD.

However, since a DOFD must, by definition, have been a date of delinquency that preceded their collection referral, they cannot report a DOFD that is later than the date they obtained theiir collection authority.

It is possible that scenario 3 applies to your situation.  If they were unable to obtain the DOFD from the OC, then it is permissible to estimate the DOFD as being the date they obtained collection authority, but no later.  Thus, it is a bit difficult for the consumer to know whether their reporting was in compliance with the requirements of section 623(a)(5).  You can, of course, dispute it, but it is quite possible that they could veriify its accuracy.

Did the OC ever report the DOFD to the CRA?  If so, that would provide clear basis for dispute of the accuracy of reporting of any other date.

Message 12 of 19
Tuxtepec3441

As far as I know the answer is no, and this was just reported starting August to Experian, and Transunion, I did call the OC though and they said it was 2011.  Do I need to get proof from them and from there dispute it with the CA or the CRA?

Message 13 of 19
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Tuxtepec3441 wrote:

removal date of 2017, I don't want to wait that long to get out of the Hood!

Sounds to me the DOFD is 2011 based on reversing the math on the 7 years + 180 days...

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 14 of 19
Tuxtepec3441

This is what it has on our report, 

TRANSUNION:

Placed for collection 6/27/2013

balance $ 5631

Updated 08/11/13

esimated month and year item will be removed 02/2018

Experian:

Date opened Jun 2013

First reported Aug 2013

Date of Status Aug 2013

Original amount $5631

Account is scheduled to continue on record till 2017

Message 15 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 16 of 19
Tuxtepec3441

Yeah 2011 would be right. Dang this is so complicated! What should my next step be to qualify for the USDA Loan, ( says no collections for the past two years, so I think I'm screwd unless I do a PFD and hope they take it right

Message 17 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 18 of 19
Tuxtepec3441

well, here goes nothing I'm going to offer $ 600 ( all i have for the moment) and see how it goes. Thanks for all of everybody's help.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.